• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Way To Get Started with Good Tea AKA I Don't Know What I'm Doing...

Martin Fisher

For gong fu brewing, is there some alternative to a gaiwan that would work for someone with tremors?

I don't want to burn my fingerprints off. LOL

Grandpa-style, maybe?

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

1 hour ago, Martin Fisher said:

For gong fu brewing, is there some alternative to a gaiwan that would work for someone with tremors?

I don't want to burn my fingerprints off. LOL

Grandpa-style, maybe?

The Yixin teapot that I have has a handle.  So you can pour the hot water over teh rounded surface of the teapot to warm it up, pour water into it (to brew the tea) until it overflows a tiny bit and put the cover on.  The handle should stay cool enough to hold.  Can you hold a small handle or is it too difficult to hold a small handle?

22 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Can you hold a small handle or is it too difficult to hold a small handle?

I do have trouble with a handle sometimes.

• Like 1

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I may be able to use a Yixing.

I'd just need to choose times when tremor isn't bad.

The brew basket would allow you to do the gongfu style short steeps of lots of leaves.  Or you could look into ordering something like this.  It also lets you steep a lot of leaves in a little water and drop the water away from the leaves quickly. Yixing pots are fun and pretty, but they also drain more slowly than you'd get with the filter basket or Kamjove thingy.  That time difference can make a difference in some teas that are tasty when brewed for 10 seconds at a time, but unpleasant when it gets to 20 or 30 seconds... (lookin' at you, dancong oolongs).  

• Like 2

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

• Like 1