• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spaetzle

lindag

Watched an episode of cooks country today where they made homemade Spoetzl. In looking back through old threads I see some mention of German style Spaetzle.  So is it worth it to make it at home?  What should I look for commercially prepared Spoetzl places online?

Yes you want this as a fresh noodle product in my opinion. I've experienced the dried lke pasta and that all coes down to proer pre liike and pasta. Dead easy. This tool makes light work of it, https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/spaetzle-noodle-dumpling-maker/1010317169?  All over the internet. Just had a flashback - I think Birds Eye/Jolly Green Giant used to do a frozen buttered green beans with spaetzle - I mean the 70's. What is old is mew )  Have fun with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can start with:

250 g flour

3 eggs, beaten with 50 mL water and 5 g salt

You want to use a slightly coarser flour, if available. If not, bread flour will do.

Just mix the flour well into the liquids and let rest for a few minutes*. You want to have a coherent dough, that slowly flows from a wooden spoon when pulled out. A bit thicker than pancake batter.

Put the batter into a potato ricer (larger holes preferred) and slowly press into hot salted water just under the boiling point. They‘ll float within 30 sec or so and are done in a minute. Regardless how they look, they will taste great …

Shock in cold water, drain and sauté in butter as a side for braised meats. Or mix with an aromatic cheese and some fried onions for Käsespätzle.

—-

* anything from 10 min to 1 h is fine. Coarser flour requires a bit more time to hydrate.

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I have a technique for cheat spätzle that yields quite decent results, tough not as pretty.

I make batter with some extra water, then pour it into a wide pan (I use one made of silicon, so it won't stick). Cover and bake until set. Cool and cut into small rectangles. Might benefit from a soak in warm water if too firm.

It's perfect for when the spätzle has some things mixed with, or a thick sauce (e.g. with paprika). But it's a little disappointing in terms of looks when served plain with butter etc.

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

~ Shai N.

Obsessive much? Mine and where I acquired each one from. I even bring one (Austrian) on some holidays!

uFEVmnc.jpg

I usually just make button dumplings (Knöpfle/Knöpfli/Spätzli). I do add some potato starch to the batter. Best to mix it with cheese or scrambled eggs (the finished dishes, not in the batter).

g1u4fLu.jpg

hydJlWG.jpg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 4

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

, or you can do it old school, as in here (starts at 3:15, don’t be put off by his accent

That's some burns waiting to happen right there, my friend.  As you can see on the top of HIS hand!

• Sad 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 2 weeks later...

I use a spaetzle press like heiidill pointed to.

6.5 Oz flour

1 Egg

Salt

1Tbsp Oil

Work the flour, egg, and some salt into a dough. Pour 1/3 cup of water into the dough and mix in. If it's too stiff to go through the press add more water.

I use a 3 quart pan with about 2 quarts of boiling water. Working in batches, lay the press over the water, spoon in some dough, then work the slide back and forth to release the dough, then pull off the press. When the noodles begin to float, give them a stir with a Asian Spider Strainer allowing the rest of them to rise, pause several seconds, then scoop out into a waiting bowl. I keep my bowl in a 170 F oven.

This recipe is adapted from a German-language cookbook. My Sweetie speaks German, not me.

These noodles are great with gravy* or you can make kasespaetle by add emmentaler  cheese to it.

* I always make these to go with saurbraten.

• Like 5

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;