• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Using dulce de leche in baking

Susanwusan

What kind of a cake are you baking? How about making a layer cake and using the dulce de leche for the frosting layers. Or search for a caramel frosting recipe and use that. 

I'd like to use it as a cake ingredient but don't want to disrupt the ratios and create a mess.  Can it be used as a flavoured whole or partial substitute for the sugar or fat, it would be a normal sponge type of cake, either in one whole part or layers to be filled with something else.

1 hour ago, Susanwusan said:

Hi, how would you incorporate dulce de leche into a normal sort of cake mix, for the purpose of making it taste like caramel?

If you are looking for a strong caramel flavor, I'm not sure baking dulce de leche into a cake is the best single flavoring agent.  People do use dulce de leche in all sorts of cakes though. Often mixed with other milks and poured over the top like in the common Tres Leches or Quatro Leches Cakes.  Or incorporated in a filling or frosting.

These links should take you to a list of cake recipes that use it in different ways.  Some aren't what I'd call "a normal sort of cake mix" but should give you some ideas to run with.

Cakes

Cupcakes/small cakes

I must say that Sour Cream Dulce de Leche Swirl Cake recipe sounds really good!

I'll also recommend Dulce de Leche: Recipes, Stories, & Sweet Traditions (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) as a cookbook that's delightful to read with all sorts of recipes using dulce de leche, including cakes.

Edited by blue_dolphin
to add link (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1