• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

DomDeFranco

DomDeFranco

35 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

translates as "flour"

you're into the rabbit hole of multiple definitions, ages, language usage and translations.

"patisserie" in the strictest use is a "pastry shop"  - that rules out bread, AP, etc, flours and down to cake flour aka very soft low protein/gluten stuff.

but.... "patisserie" in the modern world is more of a "sandwich shop"

so . . one could ramble down the "it depends" path - it depends on what you are baking/making . . .

in my personal 'lived there done that' experience - European and USA flours in the general sense are not similar.

first there's the wheat - then there's the grind/refinement....

but, iffin' your making pastry type stuff, go with cake flour.

otherwise AP

unless you're making bread/bread style rolls - then bread flour

and don't be surprised if the liquid amounts are like "wtf over?"

grind and refinement make a huge difference in hydration.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I'm based in the UK, so sourcing the right type of flour wouldn't be a huge hassle. It's pretty rare in English recipes where they just list flour in a recipe without telling you what type, but i've been looking at French recipes online as well and this seems to be a thing.

The reason I asked was that i noticed some recipes state to use T45 and some T55 and others just flour (farine) so I thought there must be some convention in France that if you just state "flour" then it is a specific type, but perhaps not.

And yeah, because we all have different types of wheat and grinds and classifications etc, translating baking recipes can be a tricky task.

19 minutes ago, Duvel said:

You can use whatever works for you at a proper T45 substitute: you want a soft, very fine milled (think 00-000) and low protein flour. I assume for most of the recipes, bleached and non-enriched will work best.

Not in France, though …

So when a recipe states just flour in France it's usually for T45 or are you thinking that because it's in a patisserie book?

For most recipes you can take a pretty good guess at the type of flour but in this case i'm actually researching into choux pastry recipes and i've noticed different chefs using all kinds of different flours.

I thought it must be some sort of convention or something but perhaps not.

DomDeFranco

DomDeFranco

19 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

translates as "flour"

you're into the rabbit hole of multiple definitions, ages, language usage and translations.

"patisserie" in the strictest use is a "pastry shop"  - that rules out bread, AP, etc, flours and down to cake flour aka very soft low protein/gluten stuff.

but.... "patisserie" in the modern world is more of a "sandwich shop"

so . . one could ramble down the "it depends" path - it depends on what you are baking/making . . .

in my personal 'lived there done that' experience - European and USA flours in the general sense are not similar.

first there's the wheat - then there's the grind/refinement....

but, iffin' your making pastry type stuff, go with cake flour.

otherwise AP

unless you're making bread/bread style rolls - then bread flour

and don't be surprised if the liquid amounts are like "wtf over?"

grind and refinement make a huge difference in hydration.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I'm based in the UK, so sourcing the right type of flour wouldn't be a huge hassle. It's pretty rare in English recipes where they just list flour in a recipe without telling you what type, but i've been looking at French recipes online as well and this seems to be a thing.

The reason I asked was that i noticed some recipes state to use T45 and some T55 and other just flour (farine) so I thought their must be some convention in France that if you just state "flour" then it is a specific type, but perhaps not.

And yeah, because we all have different types of wheat and grinds and classifications etc, translating baking recipes can be a tricky task.

3 minutes ago, Duvel said:

You can use whatever works for you at a proper T45 substitute: you want a soft, very fine milled (think 00-000) and low protein flour. I assume for most of the recipes, bleached and non-enriched will work best.

Not in France, though …

So when a recipe states just flour in France it's usually for T45 or are you thinking that because it's in a patisserie book?

For most recipes you can take a pretty good guess at the type of flour but in this case i'm actually researching into choux pastry recipes and i've noticed different chefs using all kinds of different flours.

I thought it must be some sort of convention or something but perhaps not.