• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smashburger: your take?

rotuts

it seems there is a new SmashBurger very near me .;

they sent around a coupon flyer 😕

double classic is $ 5.00  ( coupon )

however it says add-ons are additional cost .

maybe a free side .

worth a trip , or not ?

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

it seems there is a new SmashBurger very near me .;

they sent around a coupon flyer 😕

double classic is $ 5.00  ( coupon )

however it says add-ons are additional cost .

maybe a free side .

worth a trip , or not ?

Add-ons?  Are they taking cheese, bacon, that sort of thing or mustard and relish?

im temped to investigate

Im guessing your burger it :     ( look at the pics )

want extra tomato ?  OK , 50 cents .  

Im hoping he burgers are at least """ charr'ed """"

I havevent had Charr in a long time .

my go to burger is the SmokeShack , w extra ' dressing '

I would like very much to try a Smashburger as they are my kind of burgers - flat and charred.  There are locations in Northern VA (a couple of hours away) and in Hampton (1 1/2 hours away).  As much as I'd like to try them, once I get to either one of those places, there are many other restaurants I'd go to before I'd go to Smashburger.  We're getting a Shake Shack here soon.  Looking forward to trying that.  We are lucky enough to have a couple of 50+ places that are basically burger stands that make fantastic burgers and fries, so a new place would have to do a lot to win us over.  

• Like 1

I tried one about a year ago, after they opened up near my mom's.   It wasn't  bad at all, but it was quite greasy and expensive.   I'm not saying that I will never go back, but I am not in a hurry either. 

• Like 1

Smashburger used to be my favorite semi-fast food burger, but there's no longer a Smashburger locally, and it's been many years since I've had one.  My usual order was a bacon cheeseburger and a chocolate shake.  I liked their fries (and onion rings, too, as I recall), but I was usually trying to limit the calories a bit, and since I didn't want to pass up the shake (made with Haagen Dazs ice cream) I tended to skip the sides.

• Like 1

As others have said, it’s worth a try if you like that kind of burger: thin and heavily charred.   I will say Freddie’s, if there is one near you produces a higher quality burger of the same type.

They also toss their fries in a rosemary concoction of some sort.   This annoys the hell out of me.   But others may disagree.

• Like 2

There used to be one here in town. It was pretty good. They have a burger with guacamole and jalapenos that I liked. 

Fries are the skinny kind that I don't really care for with some rosemary mixed in. 

• Like 1

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.