• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Kim Shook

Kim Shook

23 hours ago, Shelby said:

thumbnail_IMG_2215.jpg.b9dc6594158ef01cfc2e2aa3f997e61b.jpg

Happy Easter!!!

The cooking has commenced.  I'll post more later :) 

I love seeing that dish!  

5 hours ago, chileheadmike said:

No pictures, but we did baked ham, asparagus, deviled eggs and potatoes dauphinoise. 

Pretty standard, not hugely exciting for the three of us. 

The potatoes though. What a broken, oily mess. Tasted OK, but wow that's a lot of oil and I only used a little butter on the casserole dish. I should have known better than to try something new for Easter dinner. I followed Bourdain's recipe exactly. Not sure I'll try this one again. 

I had the exact same problem with that recipe!  I've never had it do that before. I used NO butter at all (I sprayed the dish with Pam), but something caused what looked like melted butter in the bottom of the baking dish.  Would it have been the Gruyere (same brand I always use) or did my heavy cream break?  It tasted great, but wasn't terribly appetizing looking.  

I have to say that I adore gravies and sauces.  As a matter of fact, I truly don't see the point of some foods without a good gravy.  Roasted chicken, turkey, or beef all need gravy.  Most potato dishes are improved with gravy.  I like some kind of gravy or sauce with pork roast or chops.  Rice and gravy!  Fried chicken, mashed potatoes and biscuits NEED white gravy.  If I have really good bread, I can even bypass the meat altogether and just have bread and gravy.  I think growing up part of my life in the country in the south has influenced my tastes - there wasn't ever a dinner (lunch) or supper I can remember in NC without a bowl of gravy.  The tenants on my granddaddy's farm didn't have a lot of money (they worked for my grandparents part time instead of paying rent so they could save enough to build their own home), but they had plenteous meals with chicken legs or 1/4-inch pork chops, a pile of white bread, free-from-the-garden tomatoes and beans, and lashings of gravy.  I still judge meals by their standards.  

Hope everyone had a happy beginning to the Easter Season!

Kim Shook

Kim Shook

22 hours ago, Shelby said:

thumbnail_IMG_2215.jpg.b9dc6594158ef01cfc2e2aa3f997e61b.jpg

Happy Easter!!!

The cooking has commenced.  I'll post more later :) 

I love seeing that dish!  

5 hours ago, chileheadmike said:

No pictures, but we did baked ham, asparagus, deviled eggs and potatoes dauphinoise. 

Pretty standard, not hugely exciting for the three of us. 

The potatoes though. What a broken, oily mess. Tasted OK, but wow that's a lot of oil and I only used a little butter on the casserole dish. I should have known better than to try something new for Easter dinner. I followed Bourdain's recipe exactly. Not sure I'll try this one again. 

I had the exact same problem with that recipe!  I've never had it do that before. I used NO butter at all (I sprayed the dish with Pam), but something caused what looked like melted butter in the bottom of the baking dish.  Would it have been the Gruyere (same brand I always use) or did my heavy cream break?  It tasted great, but wasn't terribly appetizing looking.  

I have to say that I adore gravies and sauces.  As a matter of fact, I truly don't see the point of some foods without a good gravy.  Roasted chicken, turkey, or beef all need gravy.  Most potato dishes are improved with gravy.  I like some kind of gravy or sauce with pork roast or chops.  Rice and gravy!  Fried chicken, mashed potatoes and biscuits NEED white gravy.  If I have really good bread, I can even bypass the meat altogether and just have bread and gravy.  I think growing up part of my life in the country in the south has influenced my tastes - there wasn't ever a dinner (lunch) or supper I can remember in NC without a bowl of gravy.  The tenants on my granddaddy's farm didn't have a lot of money (they worked for my grandparents part time instead of paying rent so they could save enough to build their own home), but they had plenteous meals with chicken legs or 1/4-inch pork chops, a pile of white bread, free-from-the-garden tomatoes and beans, and lashings of gravy.  I still judge meals by their standards.