• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Easter 2022

heidih

Well we are not exactly "back to normal" so Covid impacts still but thought I'd see what everyone had planned if you do an Easter meal. Here is 2021 https://forums.egullet.org/topic/162344-easter-2021-april-4/page/2/

I'll do a green soup for Green Thursday - spinach, parsley, nasturtium as my greens access again limiteed. We also used to do egggs baked in a muffin tin served with creamed spinach. However my muffin tins are hiding so...

Thinking on the rest since it is only little ol' me with friends on Zoom. 

• Like 5

Roast beef for two with all the trimmings.  Lime cheese pie for dessert.  Haven't make a cheese pie in over 10 months of this no gluten, no dairy, no caffeine, no alcohol, no sugar (well, that one didn't really work too well).  

Would be nice to have company but apparently the numbers are skyrocketing in Ontario.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Great you will be able to enjoy the cheese pie. So is it a baked cheesecake or a refrigerated concotion?  On the lack of company - yes - why I enjoy seeing what others do here and virtually sharing.

I have lamb on the brain so still thinking. Dad & wife wil be back here in May/June (Dr appointemts) so I neeed to get my fix before as she detests the "smell" - she who hard sautees fish and stinks up the house. People!!!

• Confused 1

The cheese pie is baked and it's from an old cookbook which even predates my interest in cooking.  

As for lamb...I'd love some...but the big guy won't eat it.  When we were first married, 100 years ago, lamb was the cheapest meat you could buy and so we did.  

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Well, it only be four of us for Easter dinner.  The three of us plus Mr. Kim's mom.  Jessica feels that we might as well be homeless heathens if we (I) don't do a big multi-dish meal.  So, here's the menu:

Ham (Mr. Kim is smoking it) w/ Cumberland sauce

Green beans

@Shelby's cukes

Pineapple casserole (Jessica is doing this)

Bourdain's Gratin Dauphinois

Deviled eggs (Jessica)

Relish tray (Mr. Kim)

Yeast rolls - Jessica has been summoned to my MIL's to learn the intricacies of THE ROLLS.  They are fantastic and she won ribbons at the state fair every time she entered these.  

I was planning on making a coconut cake (as requested by Mr. Kim), but his mom announced that she was bringing dessert.  I confess I'm a little irritated.  Who does that?  Basically saying, "Oh, never mind what you were planning on, I'm making what I want".  🙄  I am too sensitive, I know.  

• Like 5

Ya made me look up Cumberlad sauce which I'd heard of long ago but my silly mind ws thinking "cucumber?". If you know where @Shelby's cukes are & your Jessic's pineapple sure links would be welcome. Sorry on the cocnut cake shade. I adore coconut so I was looking forward to some versions that are super duper coconutty.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2

Ham.

Corn casserole.

Green peas.

Asparagus.

I might do Jessica’s pineapple.

Deviled eggs.

Hadn’t settled on dessert but @Heidi has me fixating on coconut cake…

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

15 hours ago, heidih said:

Ya made me look up Cumberlad sauce which I'd heard of long ago but my silly mind ws thinking "cucumber?". If you know where @Shelby's cukes are & your Jessic's pineapple sure links would be welcome. Sorry on the cocnut cake shade. I adore coconut so I was looking forward to some versions that are super duper coconutty.

Shelby's Cucumbers

Jessica's Pineapple Casserole

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

Im not a b9g fan of baked ham .

its worth doing for sandwiches ..

but I do love Cumberland sauce , which my mother made

the Rx's I looked up vary considerably .

Here's the recipe I'm using for the Cumberland Sauce.  I'll probably be using red wine vinegar rather than wine or juice - the sauce tends to be very sweet. 

57 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

@Kim Shook  What does the cheese do for the pineapple casserole?  I like pineapple with ham, but I'm having trouble getting my head around the cheese part.

I did, too.  In the past, I always made one without cheese or really any topping at all.  I honestly don't taste much cheesiness in Jessica's and think it could easily be omitted.  I wouldn't omit the topping though - it really adds a lot to the dish.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, heidih said:

@Kim Shook I think you were  the person who mentioned lemon curd filling in coconut cake? Sound so fresh and springlike for the season.

I almost always fill a coconut cake with lemon or lime curd.  It adds a nice tang to the cake.  Coconut cake can go overboard on sweetness sometimes.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I was planning on making a coconut cake (as requested by Mr. Kim), but his mom announced that she was bringing dessert.  I confess I'm a little irritated.  Who does that?  Basically saying, "Oh, never mind what you were planning on, I'm making what I want".  🙄  I am too sensitive, I know.  

I don't think you're too sensitive, probably just too nice!  I'd likely respond with:

Oh, no!  Since it's just the 4 of us this year, you don't need to bring anything. 

I've got dessert covered, how about bringing X?

Oh, I'm making the coconut cake recipe that Mr. Kim specifically requested.  Do you think we need two desserts?

As to, "Who does that?"  I kinda do, although I ask rather than announce.  I read somewhere that it was more helpful to suggest something than just asking what to bring.  Like, "Can I bring a quiche, or is there something else that would be better?"

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

coconut cake with lemon

Brings a tear to my eye.

My Grandma Brown made excellent coconut cake.

Oh, the memories.

• Like 4

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

10 minutes ago, Martin Fisher said:

Brings a tear to my eye.

My Grandma Brown made excellent coconut cake.

Oh, the memories.

Did she use citrus curd too

3 minutes ago, heidih said:

Did she use citrus curd too

Yeah

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

@gfweb 

nice menu .

have you ever made Rillettes ?

my parents were in Tours , FR

for a year.   I was still at the age that I qualified

for Seasonal Trips .

bumped into them there .

highly recommended if you have flavorful ingredients 

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 4

sounds very tasty .  Ive had pigeon @ Tours

Tours had an open air market

and vendors sold every sort of rillette 

you could imagine .  the baguette was right across the street 

and almost always still warm ..

• Delicious 1

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

@gfweb 

nice menu .

have you ever made Rillettes ?

my parents were in Tours , FR

for a year.   I was still at the age that I qualified

for Seasonal Trips .

bumped into them there .

highly recommended if you have flavorful ingredients 

Nooooo - the man wants to make a terrine … I fully support that !

• Haha 4

We are going to have Easter "Slunch" this year next Saturday. A meal that will be served at 3:00. Due to our shift working daughter, that is the time that works. Also, my Dad passed away on Wednesday so my sister who lives about 4 hours away will be joining us but is unable to leave until Saturday morning. We'll have baked ham, potato casserole that we call Schwartzies potatoes but is also known as Funeral potatoes. Ina's Green, Green Spring Vegetables, rolls, hot cross buns, and a layered salad that I am making up as I go. It will be a riff on shrimp cocktail, but with more veg, served in a trifle bowl. Angel Food Cake, sliced into layers with lemon curd in between layers, frosted with barely sweetened whipped cream. A shot glass in the middle of the cake will hold a few daffodils from the yard. Also thumbprint cookies with toasted coconut and a dab of chocolate ganache with a few Cadbury mini eggs in each. Dictated by tradition. 

• Like 7

We've gone with a Levantine menu for a few years now. This year, I'm thinking Musakhan chicken thighs on onions with sumac. Pilaf with fruit and nuts in it. I saw a tahini with pomegranate syrup which looks interesting. We did lamb kebabs last year and I have some in the freezer, so maybe those too. There's a Iraqi bakery a couple miles from us who make a big puffy naan so we'll have to get those...

• Like 5

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com