• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Cook-Off #89: Pâtés and Terrines

Duvel

8 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

My new cookbook, Six California Kitchens, has a recipe for oxtail terrine that I’ll try next. 
I like that she suggests to cook enough of the oxtail to serve on its own, then make the terrine the next day. 

That sounds really good.

Oxtail used to be a cheap thing that I could get around here....not anymore.  Last time at the store it was like $17 for a total of four puny tails.  I miss getting oxtail.

• Sad 2

@Shelby 

and they are Cow Tails , not Ox.

I lived in Spain for two years.

next to the Plaza de Toros 

there was a restaurant that featured Toro .

i had Toro Tail there once .  went w my father

my mother and sister declined joining us .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Shelby said:

That sounds really good.

Oxtail used to be a cheap thing that I could get around here....not anymore.  Last time at the store it was like $17 for a total of four puny tails.  I miss getting oxtail.

The ethnic markets have more sane prices

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Oxtails were on sale for $4.99/lb at a local international market.  Not super cheap but not bad so that project should happen one of these days.  

In the meantime, here's another non-pâté:  Cascaron with Chicken Liver Mousse and Guava Jelly from Sheldon Simeon's Cook Real Hawai'i.   

EA0639F8-F4C3-4ECA-9983-CC2A386187D4_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.22c46d3e654932fcbf61042a6e94cdd7.jpeg

In the header note, Sheldon says he wanted to serve a Hawaiian riff on a chicken liver mousse.  The mousse is super easy and made with sweet onion, miso and coconut milk, whiskey and hot sauce.  Flavorful but also very light.

The cascaron, on the other side, are on the heavy side compared with the crispy, dry toasts I usually have with chicken liver pâté.  They're fried coconut-mochi fritters with a hard outside crust and chewy, mochi-like interior.  Traditionally glazed in some sort of caramelized sugar syrup.  Per the recipe, instead of a glaze, the guava jelly (I used guava jam) is piped into the cascaron and served with the mousse and furikake.   I think it's probably easier to break them in half and top with the mousse, guava jelly and furikake to taste.   

I'd never pair these fritters with a heavier pâté but this actually works because the mousse is so light.  Not sure I need to make it again but it was fun to eat, playing with the different ingredients so each bite was a bit different.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

• 2 months later...
On 5/10/2022 at 7:02 AM, blue_dolphin said:

My new cookbook, Six California Kitchens, has a recipe for oxtail terrine that I’ll try next. 
I like that she suggests to cook enough of the oxtail to serve on its own, then make the terrine the next day. 

Very late returning to this topic but I finally picked up a few pounds of oxtail to  try this terrine. They were $4.99/lb on special. Not super cheap but not bad either.
CC09E543-CEAE-4646-A041-9B6045509857_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.fa9dbc137339bbcc8ec5de27676dc528.jpeg

They cut them up for me but they’re still frozen so I probably won’t get started til tomorrow. 

Edited by blue_dolphin
forgot photo (log)
  • Like 9

Those tails do look really meaty and good.  Can't wait to see what you make!

With all that's been going on in life I totally forgot about this cook-off.  I need to step it up because I want to try to make something.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Very late returning to this topic but I finally picked up a few pounds of oxtail to  try this terrine. They were $4.99/lb on special. Not super cheap but not bad either.
CC09E543-CEAE-4646-A041-9B6045509857_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.fa9dbc137339bbcc8ec5de27676dc528.jpeg

They cut them up for me but they’re still frozen so I probably won’t get started til tomorrow. 

If you use your imagination the oxtail on the left has a face.  Big eyes, little nose, little mouth

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Here's the Oxtail Terrine from Sally Schmitt's Six California Kitchens. I've been reading the amazing Terrine topic and this simple, rustic dish isn't at all in the same category as the fanciful creations shared over there but it's delicious. 

AF624BD3-9F7C-4B18-BE6F-CBA11F911EF0_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.1a50fac20e02e85eec6c38e66b2ed78a.jpeg

Gotta give Sally, French Laundry founder, big props for distilling this down to its simplest iteration - basically, just braised oxtail meat in its own jellied jus.  The braise itself is very simple, just brown the oxtails and braise with onions, chicken stock, red wine, S&P.  No lengthy list of spices and seasonings. She serves slices on arugula with a simple horseradish sauce, fleur de sel to sprinkle, balsamic vinegar to drizzle, crusty bread and red wine to wash it down.  Perfect summer supper. 

I did have a hard time getting good slices and might break the meat up into smaller pieces and pack it in more tightly to see if that helps.  That and sharpen my knife 🙃

• Like 10
  • Delicious 3

9 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

just braised oxtail meat in its own jellied jus.

What’s not to love? It looks and sounds amazing. Thanks. I did love her book.  

• Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

30 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Here's the Oxtail Terrine from Sally Schmitt's Six California Kitchens. I've been reading the amazing Terrine topic and this simple, rustic dish isn't at all in the same category as the fanciful creations shared over there but it's delicious. 

AF624BD3-9F7C-4B18-BE6F-CBA11F911EF0_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.1a50fac20e02e85eec6c38e66b2ed78a.jpeg

Gotta give Sally, French Laundry founder, big props for distilling this down to its simplest iteration - basically, just braised oxtail meat in its own jellied jus.  The braise itself is very simple, just brown the oxtails and braise with onions, chicken stock, red wine, S&P.  No lengthy list of spices and seasonings. She serves slices on arugula with a simple horseradish sauce, fleur de sel to sprinkle, balsamic vinegar to drizzle, crusty bread and red wine to wash it down.  Perfect summer supper. 

I did have a hard time getting good slices and might break the meat up into smaller pieces and pack it in more tightly to see if that helps.  That and sharpen my knife 🙃

I would serve this to the gods!     Thanks so much for the thinking and the doing.

• Thanks 1

eGullet member #80.

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Beautiful!  What is the sauce in the little cup?  Is that your own bread?

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Beautiful!  What is the sauce in the little cup?  Is that your own bread?

That’s the horseradish sauce. Just sour cream, horseradish, S&P. 
The bread was bought and paid for by me so I own it fair and square 🙃

• Haha 7

• 3 months later...

I chanced upon this thread thanks to @blue_dolphin 's post in the ninja creami about the chicken pate.  I was curious and read through, and may attempt duck pate in the near future, as I often get extra duck liver. 

That said, I've never heard of terrine, but it kind of looks like headcheese or a very dense aspic to me?  Which then reminded me about Rick Bayless' technique for carnitas, where he sous vides the shoulder, then compresses it to make these blocks.  It's kind of like a terrine I suppose, not cooked that way but compressed with with salt and it meats that sort of block shape.  I've made it a number of times, and used the same technique to make a modern take on al pastor.  I learned about the technique here.  Could it be considered a variation on a theme for this topic?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jedovaty said:

Could it be considered a variation on a theme for this topic?

That looks interesting and I think it would definitely make an great addition to this thread. And - at the risknof quoting myself - 🤗

On 4/8/2022 at 7:15 AM, Duvel said:

But this is a Cook-Off and we want to embrace the topic in all its facets, so please show and teach us

• Haha 1