• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gigots d’agneau

I love West African food, and I’ve been meaning to learn a little conversational French so I can better navigate Francophone African restaurants. But after a recent meal at Yop City — named for a district of Abidjan, Ivory Coast, and newly opened in the Bronx’s Little Italy — I’ve realized I need a better footing in French food, too. Could you recommend a brasserie in Manhattan where I could find gigots d’agneau to compare with my meal in the Bronx?

Gigots d'agneau, lamb shanks, Yop City, Belmont, Bronx.JPG

• Like 1

While I can’t recommend any brasserie in NYC, I think you might need a bit more than just gigot d‘agneau to start comparing preparation techniques.

Gigot d‘agneau refers primarily to a leg of lamb, so a cut of meat and not a dish per se. You can start by checking different preparations of this cut: grilled, braised, confit, SV’ed, … You may look into different chef‘s ideas what to do with leg of lamb (a modern classic would be Thomas Keller‘s Bouchon version). You can - of course - eat your way through all the brasseries in NYC (which I would admire). But to get an overview maybe do a bit of research first which type of preparation for gigot d’agneau you‘d like to compare to the one you‘ve experienced at Abidjan, and then … enjoy ?! Or create your own version ? 

Good luck !

• Like 2

It's not French, but I'm a huge fan of Cafe Mogador (in the East Village) and their lamb tagines.  They come in 4 different sauces - I'm partial to the charmoulla myself, while my wife prefers the saffron one.

• Like 1

Thank you both for your suggestions. I was hoping simply to walk into a relatively casual French restaurant and order "one like this," but that seems to be more difficult than I would have thought in New York. Maybe I'll mull it over at Cafe Mogador; it's been awhile since I've had one of their tagines!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, EatingInTranslation said:

Thank you both for your suggestions. I was hoping simply to walk into a relatively casual French restaurant and order "one like this," but that seems to be more difficult than I would have thought in New York. Maybe I'll mull it over at Cafe Mogador; it's been awhile since I've had one of their tagines!

You're not kidding - it seems as though Le Gigot on Cornelia St. doesn't even have one!

3 hours ago, KennethT said:

You're not kidding - it seems as though Le Gigot on Cornelia St. doesn't even have one!

Well, maybe.  On another board (or 2), I recommended he try Le Gigot because their OpenTable menu lists it and several of us remember having it there.  They may have shortened their menu currently but be able to make it if Dave calls & asks (something only someone pushy like me would do & he would probably never do).

2 minutes ago, Steve R. said:

Well, maybe.  On another board (or 2), I recommended he try Le Gigot because their OpenTable menu lists it and several of us remember having it there.  They may have shortened their menu currently but be able to make it if Dave calls & asks (something only someone pushy like me would do & he would probably never do).

I'd had it there a LONG time ago, but I haven't been back in ages.  Before I made my comment, I looked up their menu on their website (not on open table), and I didn't see it which I thought was really strange.