• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Glad to be here.

Dave R

I'm Dave and have been an avid home baker since about 1971 when I first baked Ttbetan barley bread from The Tassajara Bread Book. For the next 40 years most of my baking was done using natural leavening. Since I retired about 10 years ago I've started using commercial yeast to suit my more active schedule. Although I've made many kinds of bread, I've never made much in the way of pastry, even though I have notebooks full of recipes I've saved. I did teach myself how to make fondants and candies from "The Wilton Book of Candy Making" (pre internet days) when my wife and I owned a chocolate shop and made all our own candies.

I look forward to seeing what breads other members are making and also to seeing what pastries are being made. 

Dave

• Like 5

Thanks, Dave. I know what you mean. We've been staying in more and our old metabolisms can't handle daily croissants and cookies, so I'm glad I can still bake breads regularly.

Dave

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Welcome to eG, @Dave R!  You sound like you will fit in perfectly here.  We have lots of avid bakers.  I'm looking forward to your posts!  I've never been to Colorado, so maybe something about what you find locally.  

Thank You! Tomorrow is weekly loaf baking day and also pizza supper day, so I should have a picture or two to post late tomorrow or Thursday in The Bread Topic (2016-).

Colorado has long been a melting pot (much like everywhere else) so I'm not sure there's a bread you get here that you can't get anywhere else. About the only thing different here is people having altitude related problems, and I've been here for over 30 years at 7,800 feet. If I had to change anything for the altitude, I've long since forgotten!

Thanks again for the welcome!

Dave

• Like 2