• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recommendations for seafood markets near North New Jersey or NYC or mail order

eugenep

I just get most of my seafood from Costco now - Ahi Tuna, Swordfish, scallops etc.. 

But does anyone know of anywhere in North New Jersey or the NYC area (with competitive prices that don't charge a premium) or by mailing (competitive pricing)? 

There are a lot of mail order seafood places online but they all have premium pricing or requires an order of $400 or more. 

I'm sure NYC has a lot of great seafood markets but the cost is usually twice that of normal. 

Costco prices are: $16 a lb ahi tuna; $16 a lb swordfish; $24 lb halbiut etc. 

Numbers higher than that but still close would be great if possible 

thank you 

Check Yama - maybe they allow for pick ups...https://www.yamaseafood.com/ (Of course the quality, and therefore the price, might be a little higher than Costco).

Great Alaska often has specials with shipping included...https://www.great-alaska-seafood.com/

• Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

If all you wanted was shrimp, I recommend Biloxi Shrimp Co. I just ordered 10 pounds, sized in two-pound bags from 30-40 to U12, for what averaged out to a bit more than $12 bucks a pound. Free shipping.

98 percent of the Gulf shrimp you get these days is blast-frozen on the boat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Oh, there are also any number of H Marts - I've shopped at one in Paramus - and they have a giant seafood department.

And Mitsuwa should not be overlooked.

In the city itself, I simply shop for seafood at farmer's market. Others have been mentioned elsewhere; Citarella and Agata both have decent seafood departments.

• Thanks 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

It's not completely fair, but, whenever I compare prices between my local Taiwanese grocer and the Korean and Japanese places, it's like comparing Aldi to Whole Foods.  Now, mind you, I don't buy a lot of fish, nor do I seek out purely Korean ingredients, so I'm not the best judge.

I DO go through a metric s&?t ton of shiritaki noodles, and the cheapest price I can find is a wallet decimating $4/lb.  @eugenep, if, on your travels, you stumble across a reasonable price on shiritaki/konjac noodles, please let me know.  Edgewater is SO far for me, but, I'd make that trip if I could save a few pennies.

Eugenp, have you tried Restaurant Depot?  They opened to the public during Covid, and might still be open.  I can't speak to the quality of the fish, but I'm assuming the price is competitive.  And there's always a guy behind the counter, for whatever that's worth.

Yes, if one's fish shopping leads to Chinatown, I would say Aqua Best is probably one's best bet.

I've seen less than great looking seafood at Eataly in the past, but a knowledgeable shopper should be able to do all right, while paying through the nose.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog