• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

RIP Host Richard Kilgore

Dave the Cook

It makes me sad to announce that long-time member and eG Forums host Richard Kilgore has died. I'm almost equally sad that this news is a little more than a year old. His obituary is here.

Though he contributed to many topics, especially in the Coffee & Tea forum, he hadn't been around for quite a while. But before that, he'd made his presence known, being a member since early in 2003, posting  nearly 7000 times, and helping out the Society as an early head of the Texas forums.

For quite some time, he was an unusually enthusiastic member; he once told me about visiting bookstores when he was out and about, finding his way to the cookbook section, and surreptitiously leaving eG business cards inside various tomes as "free" bookmarks -- and of course "free" advertising for us. I've often wondered if we ever picked up a single new member from this amusing antic. Whether we did or not, it was characteristic of his outlook that he both invented the task, and took it on cheerfully.

Wherever you are now Richard, you'll be missed here. Have a cup of tea on us.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 13

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Richard was a good friend. We met when he visited the kitchen store I owned in North Texas and he was thereafter often there, drinking my coffee for some years, up until we closed in 2010. Then, for various reasons, he lived in our home for a year, before moving on. He had a good heart and to me was a regular source of wisdom on the subject of food and drink. We lost touch when his health deteriorated. I regret that. But I will treasure our friendship. Richard would have been 76 this week. Happy birthday in heaven, my friend.

• Like 8

Sad news.  He was great at hosting the tea tasting and evaluation threads.  I learned a bunch from all of them that I'm putting to use in my purchasing and drinking today.  His in with the Cultured Cup folks provided lots of interesting stuff. 

• Like 3

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch