• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Are official bakery cookbooks trustworthy?

BooBear

I really don't know exactly what you are looking for. I have several cookbooks on the subject of "Cupcakes, Muffins, Small cakes, Mini loaves, Cake Pops and Petit Fours"  

I don't think any would suit your requirements because they are all older and pretty much the same old, same old that have been published for decades.

In my opinion you will do best to see on line bakers that keep up to date with new ingredients and etc.

I have followed Restless Chipotle for three years or so.  She updates annually as she uses modified recipes and I have recommended her site to people I know, including a woman who has ten children.

Restless Chipotle has eight!  Vast numbers of cupcakes, muffins and etc., have been baked from her recipees.

Take a look.

https://www.restlesschipotle.com/50-best-cupcake-recipes-on-the-internet/

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

If you're in Jersey, then go get the pie version from Carlo's bakery and see if you like the filling and the topping; then buy one of their cakes and see if you like it.  I've never had anything from Carlo's and my guess is that they (being a huge bakery/manufacturer) are likely using custom-formulated cake mixes to ensure product consistency but maybe they are making something similar to Mazur's.  Then see if they make a version of this cake.

The checkerboard cake is simply chocolate and vanilla cake poured into a pan (usually with an insert designed to keep the batter separate while you pour it into the pans).

Maida Heatter has several cheesecakes in her various books, all of which are heavier/denser (her choc/vanilla bullseye cheesecake is dense,  you can just make the whole thing vanilla if you want, Book of Great American Desserts).  By contrast, Rose Levy Beranbaum's (the Cake Bible) cheesecake is light and more delicate. 

12 minutes ago, JeanneCake said:

If you're in Jersey, then go get the pie version from Carlo's bakery and see if you like the filling and the topping; then buy one of their cakes and see if you like it.  I've never had anything from Carlo's and my guess is that they (being a huge bakery/manufacturer) are likely using custom-formulated cake mixes to ensure product consistency but maybe they are making something similar to Mazur's.  Then see if they make a version of this cake.

The checkerboard cake is simply chocolate and vanilla cake poured into a pan (usually with an insert designed to keep the batter separate while you pour it into the pans).

Maida Heatter has several cheesecakes in her various books, all of which are heavier/denser (her choc/vanilla bullseye cheesecake is dense,  you can just make the whole thing vanilla if you want, Book of Great American Desserts).  By contrast, Rose Levy Beranbaum's (the Cake Bible) cheesecake is light and more delicate. 

Thanks for the advice. I'm currently not in jersey. I've never had carlos. I really want to make the California cake. I miss it so much. If I go to jersey I will try to see if I can get a California pie from carlos.

2 hours ago, JeanneCake said:

Another thing. I just just compared the recipes of the cheesecakes that you mentioned. Thanks for telling me how they turn out. The RLB cake uses a lot of sour cream. And that is why it should be lighter than the Maida Cake. Thank you!