• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What are the best Ghanaian cookbooks?

I've been enjoying Zoe Adjonyoh's Zoe's Ghana Kitchen (eG-friendly Amazon.com link).  Despite the fact yams in local New Jersey supermarkets are unobtainium.

Edited by Smithy
Corrected title spelling (log)
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

In at least the same continent, when my DNA test showed up 1.6 percent Nigerian, I immediately went to Google for Nigerian recipes, many of which center around chicken, peanuts and sweet potatoes. 

I apparently did not inherit my taste buds from my Nigerian forebearer. Those people measure cayenne in TABLESPOONS!

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@JoNorvelleWalker, does Zoe's Ghana Kitchen have any recipes for Mbahal? Rats, but Amazon preview of book does not list the index (ERROR!)

@Honkman posted a picture of the stew he made which looks delicious. Googling, the only recipe I can find for Mbahal is from Bon Appetit, which has me wanting more verifiable authenticity.

Edited by TdeV
clarity (log)

37 minutes ago, TdeV said:

@JoNorvelleWalker, does Zoe's Ghana Kitchen have any recipes for Mbahal? Rats, but Amazon preview of book does not list the index (ERROR!)

@Honkman posted a picture of the stew he made which looks delicious. Googling, the only recipe I can find for Mbahal is from Bon Appetit, which has me wanting more verifiable authenticity.

I have Zoe's Ghana Kitchen and it does not have a recipe for Mbahal which is a Senegalese dish.  The Mbahal recipe in last month's Bon Appétit does sound good, even if you question its authenticity! 

Edited by blue_dolphin
Typo (log)

5 hours ago, weinoo said:

Have you seen Zoe's Best Ghanian Sandwiches cookbook?

Yams are somewhat obtainable on the lower east side. At least I think that's what they are.

Yes, as I recall, last time I went looking for yams they were available from someplace in NYC for about$35.  I'm not even sure I'd like them.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

19 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Yes, as I recall, last time I went looking for yams they were available from someplace in NYC for about$35.  I'm not even sure I'd like them.

I think they are like cassava only even starchier.nI used cassava a fair bit when trying to replicate the Panamanian's grandmother's rcipes (per his recollections) The attached ijmage is from my 2011 blog (no ignage) from the Vietnamese market that catered to the Caribbean community as well. The Islands as as a arge part of the African disapora - makes sense. Cassava should be in Latin markets - often shrinkwrapped and not as huge as yam. I like it. Good flavor absorber.

yam.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1