• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'm drrayeye

drrayeye

Hi Everyone,

I've made my career as a scientist and researcher, but have dabbled in cooking as an amateur--even did a few taste studies when I was a faculty member at Cornell University school of hotel management.

but

Seven years ago, I decided to build up from scratch a small home cooking kitchen that would rely on induction and convection--and be ergonomic friendly.  My induction units are from Vollrath, and I have two inexpensive Oster ovens--a toaster and a roaster.  I have two separate sets of pans--one set are enameled cast iron, the other are stainless.  I have selected them to carry out cooking at lower temperatures--around 250 degrees.  I steam in several ways--mostly with an insert--and I often use my Staub crepe pan for a lots more than pancakes.

If I can, I always try to consider new products and technologies.  In eci, I have a Staub perfect pan as a home cook substitute for a wok, and Hestan nanobond for my 11" fry pan.  If I could afford it, my next step for induction would be the control freak.

In cutlery, I'm interested in fusion between Eastern and Western kitchen knives--especially involving newer processes.  My most recent interest for cultural fusion is the Japanese deba (I've just reviewed the Kai Seki Magoroku Kinju on Chowhound), and my most interest for new processes are dual core knives.

More than anything, my number one goal is to have fun!

Ray

• Like 6

14 hours ago, drrayeye said:

I was a faculty member at Cornell University school of hotel management.

Welcome, Ray!

Are you still near Ithaca? I live in Elmira Heights.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

11 hours ago, Martin Fisher said:

Welcome, Ray!

Are you still near Ithaca? I live in Elmira Heights.

Sadly, I've been away far too long here in SOCAL.  These days, I'm interested in cultural fusion between Asian and local Californian cuisine--especially Japanese and Thai.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2022 at 10:20 PM, drrayeye said:

Hi Everyone,

I've made my career as a scientist and researcher, but have dabbled in cooking as an amateur--even did a few taste studies when I was a faculty member at Cornell University school of hotel management.

but

Seven years ago, I decided to build up from scratch a small home cooking kitchen that would rely on induction and convection--and be ergonomic friendly.  My induction units are from Vollrath, and I have two inexpensive Oster ovens--a toaster and a roaster.  I have two separate sets of pans--one set are enameled cast iron, the other are stainless.  I have selected them to carry out cooking at lower temperatures--around 250 degrees.  I steam in several ways--mostly with an insert--and I often use my Staub crepe pan for a lots more than pancakes.

If I can, I always try to consider new products and technologies.  In eci, I have a Staub perfect pan as a home cook substitute for a wok, and Hestan nanobond for my 11" fry pan.  If I could afford it, my next step for induction would be the control freak.

In cutlery, I'm interested in fusion between Eastern and Western kitchen knives--especially involving newer processes.  My most recent interest for cultural fusion is the Japanese deba (I've just reviewed the Kai Seki Magoroku Kinju on Chowhound), and my most interest for new processes are dual core knives.

More than anything, my number one goal is to have fun!

Ray

hi Ray, welcome - Cornell alum here!  Which Vollrath induction units are you using?  Would you purchase them again if you needed to?

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

hi Ray, welcome - Cornell alum here!  Which Vollrath induction units are you using?  Would you purchase them again if you needed to?

I have both the Mirage and Cadet.  The Mirage is the workhorse and can be setup most anywhere.   It's the one almost everyone gets.  It has 100 "energy" settings, and temperature settings that range down to about 80 degrees F--in 5 degree increments.  I go back and forth between the two systems.

The biggest problem is that the induction surges at startup before settling down to a preset temperature.

Still, overall, it's a terrific unit.  I'd buy it again.

The dream would be to have a Control Freak!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, drrayeye said:

I have both the Mirage and Cadet.  The Mirage is the workhorse and can be setup most anywhere.   It's the one almost everyone gets.  It has 100 "energy" settings, and temperature settings that range down to about 80 degrees F--in 5 degree increments.  I go back and forth between the two systems.

The biggest problem is that the induction surges at startup before settling down to a preset temperature.

Still, overall, it's a terrific unit.  I'd buy it again.

The dream would be to have a Control Freak!

I've been looking at the Vollrath HPI4-2600 or 3000... I wired my kitchen with 230V outlets just for the purpose of some high powered induction ranges.  The HPI4 series seems to have a lot of the same capabilities as the Control Freak but are a lot less expensive.