• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Best Reference Cookbook?

BooBear

On 3/20/2022 at 8:21 PM, Kerala said:

Here is Jay Rayner's list.

It's not exactly what the OP is asking for, but it's a good list. I don't think Madhur Jaffrey's book should be considered a definitive guide to Indian cooking, not that he says it is.

NO!  Sorry, I mean if I just live in say Chelsea and never leave England then yeah.    But that is a rather narrow list.

• Like 1

I have way too many.

But...some "bibles" that I have.   

Kenji's Food Lab

Harold Magee. 

Joy of Cooking.

Fuschia Dunlap.

Marcella Hazen Essentials of Italian Cooking

The Professional Chef CIA

Sauces James Peterson

Larousse Gastronimique

Mastering the Art of French Cooking Julia Child

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Owtahear said:

NO!  Sorry, I mean if I just live in say Chelsea and never leave England then yeah.    But that is a rather narrow list.

l agree, 6/10 are firmly in the UK/Frenchy English tradition. We all live in our own boxes.

10 hours ago, Owtahear said:

I have way too many.

But...some "bibles" that I have.   

Kenji's Food Lab

Harold Magee. 

Joy of Cooking.

Fuschia Dunlap.

Marcella Hazen Essentials of Italian Cooking

The Professional Chef CIA

Sauces James Peterson

Larousse Gastronimique

Mastering the Art of French Cooking Julia Child

Which Fuschia Dunlop book are you recommending? Is it an appropriate book for a beginner to the cuisine or is it for someone who knows what they're doing? For any Chinese cooking I'd place myself firmly in the former camp.

Well, let's start with getting her name correct. It Is Fuchsia Dunlop.

Yes , some of her books and recipes are very much aimed at beginners / less experienced people. Probably the most accessible is Every Grain of Rice: Simple Chinese Home Cooking.

Then move more widely. Although her Sichuan book is a classic, my favourite is Land of Rice and Fish, but then I've been eating and cooking Chinese food in China for a very long time.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto