• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Does anyone have a recipe for California Fruit Cake?

BooBear

California Fruit Cake is a lemon sponge or vanilla sponge cake, with vanilla whipped cream frosting (or some type of vanilla cream) and topped with fresh fruit and fruit glaze on top of the cake. I used to get the cake from a bakery but the bakery is out of business. Anyone got a recipe? There also used to be a pie version. The pie crust was filled with some kind of vanilla white cream and topped with fresh fruit and fruit glaze.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AAQuesada said:

Never heard of it! Sounds interesting though I'll try and Google around when I get a chance 

My initial response as well as a lifelong Californian. But I did a quick google and  the image/descriptions sound like what OP described. Seems old fashioned with the canned type fruits. But nostalgia affects our tastes.Gawd when I see images of that Marie Callender fresh strawberry pie now with the day glow thick red gel! We thought it a super treat as kids.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, heidih said:

Marie Callender fresh strawberry pie now with the day glow thick red gel! We thought it a super treat as kids.

Hah, I haven't been there in 30 years but i can still taste the Proustian Chili with cornbread and honey butter in my minds eye. 

The one in San Pedro was "girls night out" in high school. "Fettucine Alfredo" - who knows what was in it  I remembered what the California Fruit Cake reminds me of - the first low sugar cream layer sponge with fruit flavors cakes my SE Asian friends would bring to gatherings. Enjoyable as a ight fruity, not cloying product.