• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sausagemaking ... I have only butt and brisket

Johntodd

Hi!  I just picked up a decent grinder/stuffer on sale.  Always wanted to do sausagemaking, and have perused a LOT of YT videos.  I also slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night!  :D

EDIT: I have only pork Boston Butts and beef briskets.

I know I can look at recipes on the internet, but I figure you folks would have some suggestions for beginners, old family faves, ec.  Do you all have any recommends for recipes using the above meats?  I have a full spice pantry.  Will get curing salt if needed.

We are not too picky about sausage, as long as they are not dry unless they should be, etc. 

I am an experienced home cook.

Thanks!

-John

• Like 1

John, I have some experience. It's probably easier than you think.

Caveat: I make southern Italian style sausages using pork. I assume you refer to beef. Even so, it's a great idea to have two different cuts (I use 2 parts shoulder, one part leg).

Remove off any silver skin, cartilage, nasty bits etc before grinding. Grind it a little coarser than you think.

I don't use curing salt but 3% fine table salt by weight is crucial.

Spicing entirely your choice. I use only black pepper and a chilli powder to taste. Parsley never goes astray in anything but I don't use it in my sausages, which are primarily for slow drying to make sopressa style. They are also good fresh.

Mix all thoroughly in tub of appropriate size. If so inclined give it a healthy splash of wine (nature's best tasting antiseptic). Leave at (cool) room temperature over night covered with a towel or similar. In hot weather prudent to refrigerate but I make my sausages in mid winter.

Before stuffing in casings take a small portion and fry so you know whether seasoning needs adjustment.

Good luck. It's fun.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, FlashJack said:

Good luck. It's fun.

Thanks so much!

I just fried up a sample of what I made, and it was waaaay better than I thought.  And it will get better as the seasonings blend, etc.

I wanted to double grind, using the fine plate last.  But the machine seemed to be rejecting the previous grind.  Any idea why?  I abandoned the second grind and packed away the coarse grind, which is awesome anyway!   Maybe the meat wasn't chilled long enough for the second grind?

Thanks again!

-John

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, Johntodd said:

breakfast sausage, "Italian" sausage, and chorizo

Congratulations John. It's not so hard after all.

Care to share how you did the chorizo? It's usually made with pork.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, FlashJack said:

Congratulations John. It's not so hard after all.

Care to share how you did the chorizo? It's usually made with pork.

I obtained some pork shoulder.  Not quite enough fat in it to give it that "mmmmmm" mouthfeel, but DEFINITELY delicious!

https://www.copymethat.com/r/ZFgzlqL4y/homemade-chorizo-sausage/

• Like 1

On 3/17/2022 at 11:37 PM, FlashJack said:

John, I have some experience. It's probably easier than you think.

Caveat: I make southern Italian style sausages using pork. I assume you refer to beef. Even so, it's a great idea to have two different cuts (I use 2 parts shoulder, one part leg).

Remove off any silver skin, cartilage, nasty bits etc before grinding. Grind it a little coarser than you think.

I don't use curing salt but 3% fine table salt by weight is crucial.

Spicing entirely your choice. I use only black pepper and a chilli powder to taste. Parsley never goes astray in anything but I don't use it in my sausages, which are primarily for slow drying to make sopressa style. They are also good fresh.

Mix all thoroughly in tub of appropriate size. If so inclined give it a healthy splash of wine (nature's best tasting antiseptic). Leave at (cool) room temperature over night covered with a towel or similar. In hot weather prudent to refrigerate but I make my sausages in mid winter.

Before stuffing in casings take a small portion and fry so you know whether seasoning needs adjustment.

Good luck. It's fun.

Thank you for this instruction. Now I am not so afraid of home sausagemaking 

• Like 1