• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Julia": The new TV series based on the life of the famous "French" chef.

cteavin

11 hours ago, FauxPas said:

Ooooh, I love Sarah Lancashire! I think this series will be luscious.  🙂

What do you think of her 'accent'? At first, I didn't like it, but having watched the trailer (quite a lot) it's grown on me. 😁

10 hours ago, cteavin said:

What do you think of her 'accent'? At first, I didn't like it, but having watched the trailer (quite a lot) it's grown on me. 😁

It seems to be pitched higher than Julia Child herself (but then Julia's voice seemed to go up and down) and was a bit jarring at first, but I think that's mostly because I'm so used to seeing Sarah L in things like Last Tango in Halifax. I don't think I'll have any problems with the voice once I get into the series!  🙂

• Like 1

When I first heard Sarah L was cast as Julia it seemed very strange. And even listening to the preview was a bit jarring. But I have faith in Sarah-- she's captivating in just about everything. This is one of those shows I probably can't NOT watch. Any one who drops a chicken on the floor and recovers in seconds has my attention. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

We watched the first episode last night and it was pretty good. I have no problems with Sarah L at all, I thought she did a great job. What did anyone else think? 

I am a David Hyde Pierce fan (cast as Julia's husband) and have listened to some of his interviews on the series. Interesting cast in general.  Sounds pretty good.

• Like 1

I'm really loving this series.  I think both the characters are truly engaging.

Never was a big fan of DHP but he does a fine job here; I must have underestimated him.  When I saw that he had been cast as Paul, I didn't think he would fit but he really does.  I'll be sad when the series ends.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I just watched the 7th episode of Julia...the very best one yet.  I believe that ep. 8 is the finale, I'll really be sad because this has been outstanding!

BTW, it appears that her father was a real schmuck!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lindag said:

I just watched the 7th episode of Julia...the very best one yet.  I believe that ep. 8 is the finale, I'll really be sad because this has been outstanding!

It's been renewed for a second season, apparently.

We've watched as far as Episode 6, so far, but haven't had the chance to wrap up the season. We've enjoyed it greatly, and - since I've never seen the real Julia's show, and know little of her life beyond the main points - any anachronisms or anomalies are lost on me anyway. Whatever its merits or deficiencies as biography, it's good television.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, lindag said:

We don't subscribe to HBO.  However, I see they have a 7 day free trial.  Do you happen to know if we can binge watch Julia within the 7 day free time frame?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

We don't subscribe to HBO.  However, I see they have a 7 day free trial.  Do you happen to know if we can binge watch Julia within the 7 day free time frame?

It's on Crave in Canada, if you have that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I've only seen Episode 1. What impressed me was how the script treated menopause and her reaction. Rest hilarious. What glass ceiling?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, lindag said:

, it appears that her father was a real schmuck!

You never know if the writers didn't add that for drama.

Look at the stink Jerry West is making over a similar thing

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Absolutely you can! And I think you'll enjoy it. You might even watch a couple of episodes a night and leave yourself time to browse some other shows, ha. Do the trial subscription to either service and check it out. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, chromedome said:

We've watched as far as Episode 6, so far, but haven't had the chance to wrap up the season. We've enjoyed it greatly, and - since I've never seen the real Julia's show, and know little of her life beyond the main points - any anachronisms or anomalies are lost on me anyway. Whatever its merits or deficiencies as biography, it's good television.

You really should watch the actual Julia.  There is no one like her.  Truly a legend.  If you can watch youtube.com, there are lots of the original shows.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

You really should watch the actual Julia.  There is no one like her.  Truly a legend.  If you can watch youtube.com, there are lots of the original shows.  

And check out ones with her and Pepin together.

• Like 2

I watched Julia from the beginning as the local station aired it on Mondays at 6 p.m. just as I got home from work.

I was enthusiastic and would watch with a notebook close at hand to take notes.

A couple of decades later when it was rebroadcast, I recorded all of the episodes on VHS tapes.  

I hope I can find a way to watch this series.

• Like 3

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

On 5/5/2022 at 12:44 PM, gfweb said:

You never know if the writers didn't add that for drama.

Look at the stink Jerry West is making over a similar thing

I've read her autobiography.  He was very conservative and they were very liberal.  So their relationship was very strained, and my impression was that they interacted as little a possible (but never so far as to shirk familial duties).  So I found it a bit surprising that they'd show him staying with them for more than a few days.  But within the context of the series he was in and out of there pretty quickly.

I think that's sort of the overall sense I get from this series.  Not entirely accurate, but generally true to the theme.

• Like 1