• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chowhound is no more.

Chimayo Joe

From the way  they treated members they should have died long ago. The comments on the link above pretty much say it all

Its a shame that the archives will be gone.   Maybe eG could do something?

• Like 2

Thanks for posting. I used to go there for Los Angeles long ago. I kniw they had management changes and issues with moderation (like here), but it is a different world. Steven could not have imagined the power of Instagram, Tic Tok, Influencers, and the accompanying drop in content value versus "look at me" versus food interest. Let us enjoy this space while we can and thank those ""behind the sceners" who keep this up with NO adverts - just food love :)

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 5

I go back often enough that the site remembers me.  But it was certainly going downhill as far as content.  I'm sad to see any of the old "bulletin board" type sites go away.  I know lots of people have made enduring friendships on them (I absolutely have here at eG) and they give folks an opportunity to "meet" and discuss with people all over the world.  This has been invaluable to people who don't get out into the world - especially the past couple of years.

• Like 2

I haven't looked at that site in years. They changed to format and I disliked it enough that I just left. The Kansas City forum could get pretty crazy and I did meet a lot of those posters. Good memories, sorry to see it go. 

• Like 2

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

It was great for boots on the ground discovery of little known ethnic enclaves but the NY mods were a power hungry bunch often deleting posts for the slightest of disagreements, negativity and wrong opinions.   I know he's been out for a long time but I'd still like to say "Leff has officially left the bldg".

• Like 1

That wasn't chicken

They went downhill big time during the last takeover when they did a major overhaul on their UI.  Site moderation became far too Stalin-esque and pushed many away.

Certainly an opportunity for EG to recruit a larger audience as many are scrambling as to 'where to go now' - some folks have posted about some Onion site....surely EG should be an option!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

It was great for boots on the ground discovery of little known ethnic enclaves but the NY mods were a power hungry bunch often deleting posts for the slightest of disagreements, negativity and wrong opinions.   I know he's been out for a long time but I'd still like to say "Leff has officially left the bldg".

I got spanked for asking if a staff reviewer had actually been to the restaurants or was writing from press releases 😉 .  It was shitty writing too.  Piece ended with  "restaurants are here to stay in Philadelphia! "   Yeah since like 1700.

• Haha 2

GASP! Drama aside, there is a lot of good information there that I hope can be preserved.

I've followed the following thread for years!

FINALLY... a real, honest-to-Hashem method for making real lower east side SALT FERMENTED KOSHER DILL PICKLES, as directed by Moe, a 90+ year old former pickle master

• Like 4

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

From the NYT: Chowhound Closes After 25 Years of Food Obsession, Wisdom and Debate, in which they say:

Combative humans being what they are, animosities and rivalries blossomed and splinter sites formed, like egullet.com (also now closed) and mouthfulsfood.com. None quite captured the ornery compulsion that animated Chowhound in its prime years.

• Confused 2

Just now, blue_dolphin said:

Huh. Gotta go set the NYT straight, about our change to a 501(c)3 .org!

• Like 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Another member (possibly @docsconz based on name) and I have already commented to set them straight. It would be fun if more of yez did that. :) 

• Like 1

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

12 minutes ago, Smithy said:

. . . I have already commented to set them straight. It would be fun if more of yez did that. :) 

Done. I also sent an email to their corrections desk, and another that may or may not reach Mr. Asimov.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

21 minutes ago, Dave the Cook said:

In fairness, it should e noted that the NYT has changed the article and issued a correction.

Also in fairness, I said we were a 401 (c) 3 corporation. We're not; we're a 501 (c) 3. 😒

Oh the things we accidentally type when emotinal ;) Thanks!

A decent overview https://www.investopedia.com/terms/1/501c3-organizations.asp

• Like 1

On 3/7/2022 at 6:08 PM, gfweb said:

. . . Its a shame that the archives will be gone.   Maybe eG could do something?

If we were offered their archive, we'd of course consider taking it on. as we did with the Modernist Cuisine forums. But unless it comes with a big check for server space, etc, or guarantees more lucrative fundraising among our membership, it's not a likely occurrence. 

• Like 4

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

22 hours ago, Smithy said:

Another member (possibly @docsconz based on name) and I have already commented to set them straight. It would be fun if more of yez did that. :) 

Many, many years ago (the early '70s), there was a show that featured "The All Dead Band".  I remember it as Natl. Lampoon's "Lemmings" but, according to Wikipedia, its not a listed number so that might not be it (although you should definitely Wikipedia it, since that show was a hoot).  At any rate, all of the rock musicians who had died were represented & the band had a Ginger Baker stand in playing drums.  I understand that he blew a gasket when he found out about it and said something dramatically more than "but, I'm not dead".  Just sayin'.

(thank you Smithy and docsconz)

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Steve R. said:

(thank you Smithy and docsconz)

Don't forget @Dave the Cook.

• Like 1

As an old timer on food forums, (joining during first weeks of eG, OA and MFF) I'd suggest that the overwhelming influences bringing the demise of departed forums has been smothering of content and its natural format.    Too many "you gottas" that extinguish the urge to share.     

• Thanks 2

eGullet member #80.

2 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

As an old timer on food forums, (joining during first weeks of eG, OA and MFF) I'd suggest that the overwhelming influences bringing the demise of departed forums has been smothering of content and its natural format.    Too many "you gottas" that extinguish the urge to share.     

Yes.

But CH  had terrible moderation. Terrible.

And it got worse after the buyout. The buyer bought a community and then evicted it.

• Like 4