• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Charlottesville, VA

s'kat

If you do stop by Horton you can taste all 38 of their wines .... :blink: With 38 wines there are bound to be some you won't like but if you're a red wine drinker taste the Dionysus and the Mourvedre.

Grey Ghost has great wines. If you have time you could stop by Farfelu, also in Rappahannock. It's a neat little winery, very friendly staff and good wines (The Inn just picked up their entire selection).

Some say the glass is half empty, some say the glass is half full, I say, are you going to drink that?

I graduated from UVA in '98 and Bodo's on the Corner was "coming soon".

I went to Charlottesville last month and Bodo's on the Corner is still "coming soon".

It is just bizarre if you ask me. I don't understand.

There was an article in the Cville free weekly about this, but of course I can't seem to find it. I remember it reiterated the rumors I'd been hearing for years that the owner doesn't take out loans or hire a general contractor. So who knows.

I graduated from UVA in '98 and Bodo's on the Corner was "coming soon".

I went to Charlottesville last month and Bodo's on the Corner is still "coming soon".

It is just bizarre if you ask me.  I don't understand.

There was an article in the Cville free weekly about this, but of course I can't seem to find it. I remember it reiterated the rumors I'd been hearing for years that the owner doesn't take out loans or hire a general contractor. So who knows.

That is correct but financially he is not too bright. He has had that corner location for 5++ years and its sitting there. He is either paying a lease for nothing or if he owns it he could be renting it out. Strange!

Best ceasar salad in the world at Bodos! Watch the garlic though.

So, reading this thread's a scary bit of memory lane for me---not that the memories were the least bit scary, but the fact that it took a bit of jarring to shake them loose.

I graduated from UVa in '84, spent another year in town working at the hospital. Top of the heap then was C & O (anybody remember the bar downstairs?), with Boars Head for parental visits. Eastern Standard was pretty new, and I had my graduation dinner there. Never got hit on by Sam Shepard at the Virginian (before his time, daresay), but did get a really bad case of food poisoning there once.

Anyway, I'm trying to remember a particular place that might well still be there. Downtown, seems like part of an old hotel that had a sort of elegant dining room at the time (but not great food). The place I'm thinking of was actually the bar, and it was sort of pub-like, mostly subterranean, favored by law students and lawyers. Ring any bells?

Can you pee in the ocean?

therese, it sounds like you're thinking of Court Square Tavern. It had an extensive beer list before that was widely overdone, including the German-style dimpled 20-oz mugs. I think the hotel was the Monticello (or some Jeffersonian name). The food was average at best, with cooking facilities apparently limited to a single microwave. I had my first Taddy Porter and first ploughman's lunch there. Compared to my usual hangouts, it was pretty upscale. I haven't been back to C'ville since '99, but it was still there.

"Eat at Joe's."

- Joe

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for helping me remember, maf. Yes, Court Square does sound like it. I wasn't eating much there, maybe a ploughman's lunch or soup, but then it was a pub sort of place. I once ate a very stuffy sort of dinner with an emeritus professor and his wife in the hotel dining room. Very old school.

Can you pee in the ocean?

• 1 year later...

For anyone who is wondering, the Bodo's on the Corner finally opened, around summer of 2005! The bagels are pretty good, although I don't care for all the fancy cream cheeses - just give me plain!

Unfortunately, one of my favorite restaurants here, Rivanna Grill recently closed. They had a nice menu with quality ingredients. Couldn't really afford it, but it was great! I guess it was just in an unfortunate location (and name - one wouldn't guess it was an upscale restaurant!)

For anyone who is wondering, the Bodo's on the Corner finally opened, around summer of 2005!  The bagels are pretty good, although I don't care for all the fancy cream cheeses - just give me plain!

I never saw the allure of Bodo's, but I guess I'm in the minority on that one. The bagels weren't anything to write home about and the wait certainly wasn't worth it. In fact, I can't think of a single trip back to hooville when I stopped there (plenty of other places I miss significantly more).

wah hoo wah!

• 1 month later...
Unfortunately, one of my favorite restaurants here, Rivanna Grill recently closed.  They had a nice menu with quality ingredients.  Couldn't really afford it, but it was great!  I guess it was just in an unfortunate location (and name - one wouldn't guess it was an upscale restaurant!)

Nor would one guess by its exterior. I must have driven past that place 100 times and never once had any inkling that it was anything other than another hole in the wall.

Will be in C'ville Tuesday, any more recent suggestions?

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

what are you in the mood for and have you ever been to c'ville before?

1)Whatever the best place is that can handle a well-behaved 2 year old (there I just jinxed myself) :laugh:

2)Never in town - just driving through on 29.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

hmm...i have one or two ideas:

1) The College Inn, located on the corner. When 29 finally hits campus, turn left (assuming you are coming from NoVa). It's basically the main strip where a lot of the bars and t-shirt shops are located. It's nothing special - basically a pizza, pasta and greek place. I don't have a kid (whew), but my gf's stepsis has a 2yr old - he loves pizza. College Inn makes a fantastic white pizza. They also have some cheese breadsticks thta would be kid-friendly. As for you, you should totally hit the chicken parm sammich with a side of onion rings - it's the best in town.

2) Bodo's. Even though I'm not a fan, it seems like a place to get something quick and easy if you're toting a 2yr old around - maybe a pb or cheesey bagel sammich?

3) The Tavern. If you're getting into town in the am, it's an option. they make a mean breakfast. Be forewarned that it is NOT the Ritz inside.

Here is a link to some restaurants broken down by area (29, the corner, etc.). I can do my best to answer any q's you have.

Note: if you're taking 29 to get on 64, you'll pass by a place called Foods of All Nations, that you might want to check out. It's an upscale/gourmet foods place.

I can heartily recommend the Bavarian Chef in Madison - just north of Hooville on 29. Phone #:540 948 6505. Just to let you know: you do not want to eat here and then have a road trip ahead of you. This is solid, filling, delicious food. Make sure that you don't have anything more strenuous than a slow short stroll ahead of you that evening :wink: !

Here is a link to some restaurants broken down by area (29, the corner, etc.). I can do my best to answer any q's you have.

Thanks for this link. As planning develops, it looks like we will wander around the mall. Any faves there?

Hopefully, I can convince the troops to stop by Horton on the way back tomorrow, need to replenish my Cab Franc supply. :biggrin:

PS -Kim, I'm a Bavarian chef fan, but can't imagine eating there when it's 90 degrees outside.

Joe W

Let me improve a little on the directions to The Corner. Rt 29 does not hit campus since UVa does not have a campus. You need to turn left on Main Street off of 29. There is the Best Western Cavailier Inn on your right.

On the Corner the Virginian is a must for nostalgia/history. The still make a decent burger, but alas its not the in place it once was. It has probably gone in and out of style about 30 times in the past 100 years, so perhaps its back in.

Bodo's does make a mean Ceasar salad but make sure your entire party eats one as the garlic is INTENSE.

Will be in C'ville Tuesday, any more recent suggestions?

Not a restaurant (although there is a deli,) but there is a fun store called Foods of All Nations that you might check out. The address is 2121 Ivy Road, but if memory serves, it's on the same street (Rt. 250) that's called something else across Rt. 29 by the University. That's not very helpful, I know... *grin* I live in the boondocks, so shopping/dining/whatever is done either in Charlottesville or Richmond -- usually Richmond, as I have family there -- but after reading this thread (rather late) I think I'll have to finally talk the husband into driving the C'ville for our next shopping foray, and try out one of the restaurants that have been mentioned. I'd always heard that the C'ville dining scene was impressive, but have yet to actually make the trip.

Have to report that we were unable to stop in C'ville as planned due to Peanut developing a rather nasty cold. We'll try again next time. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Joe W

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
I arrive at the JAG school this weekend and will be here for several months.  looking for restaurant suggestions of all types (the best of casual, ethnic and higher-end), coffee shops and nightlife.

TIA!

Don't want to be too generic, but head for the downtown mall and check out Millers (which I remember being a drug store before it became a restaurant), the Hardware Store (likewise), and any of a number of food places. Also check on the Corner (across from the hospital on West Main St). The White Spot (locally known as the Grease Spot) is a good place to spend a drunken Friday or Saturday night trying to recover. Go for the one-eyed burger (a cheeseburger with a fried egg), guaranteed to make you change your mind about drinking too much. Check on Second St for a lot of really good upscale restaurants and on Hydraulic Rd for some tucked away great eating places. Also check on Rio (Rye-o not reee-o if you want to sound like a native) Rd for other little places. C'ville is a great eating town when you look closely.

Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that’s bad for you!

Tommy Smothers

I've been in Charlottesville several times over the last couple of years. I did a bit of research here and on a few other boards. In no particular order, here are a few places I've enjoyed:

Zocalo , 201 E Main St.

It's a "Modern Latin" place. The tuna tartare app is nice:

gallery_12922_6291_152956.jpg

OXO, 215 W Water St

Oysters in Champagne:

gallery_12922_6291_43414.jpg

They seem to like to play with somewhat exotic herbal flavors. Service was a bit flustered, possibly because I showed up quite early in the evening. :hmmm:

Ivy Inn, 2244 Old Ivy Rd

Nice little amuse, Virginia ham on a tiny biscuit:

gallery_12922_6291_83639.jpg

I had a hell of a time finding this place, but it was worth it. Talented young chef.

C & O, 515 E Water St

Here's a squab app:

gallery_12922_6291_45123.jpg

A fun, funky place. The food is good and the owners are quite charming. Let them know that you have an adventurous palate and they will love you. If the weather is decent ask to be seated in the patio.

My strongest recommendation is to go to Palladio, the restaurant at Barboursville Winery (17655 Winery Rd, Barboursville VA).

This time of year you might want to go for lunch rather than dinner so that you can enjoy the beautiful grounds in daylight. Here are some snaps of a summer luncheon menu from 2007:

Ligurian Chickpea fritter. Sounds simple, but this was one of the best dishes of 2007 for me.

gallery_12922_6291_135280.jpg

Veal Sweetbreads over Rissoto.

gallery_12922_6291_185177.jpg

Braised Beef Ribs.

gallery_12922_6291_180207.jpg

Nathan, I trust that you will post your impressions over the next few months. Looking forward to hearing what you think of C'Ville.

I remember the Belair market at the gas station had pretty good sandwiches, but I haven't been there in years. It's good to hear that the C&O and Ivy Inn are still doing well b/c they were among my favorites when I was in school nearly 10 years ago.

On a recent visit this month, it looked like the Hardware Store is now closed. I went to Mas(?) which is a Tapas place near the downtown mall area which I loved. Also check out Gearharts chocolates!

• 1 month later...

after a couple months here are my thoughts.

alas, Oxo has been closed for six months.

Mas is the best restaurant in Charlottesville, by a large margin. excellent tapas. for the NY'ers, it's every bit the equal of Bocqueria...maybe a bit better, if not quite as interesting as Tia Pol.

lots of places such as C&O, Zocalo, Cassis, Zinc, Si etc. that are serving standard restaurant food...

there's no good Italian or Chinese. the Thai is better than expected.

Mellow Mushroom has quite good pizza.

I dig the beef and onion pancakes at the Tavern.

Mas is very good...did i say that?

some good beer lists. crappy wine lists (except for the small but good one at Mas). no good cocktails (except those made in my room).

Mas is what elevates this place way above the norm for a town of 45,000.

after a couple months here are my thoughts.

alas, Oxo has been closed for six months.

Mas is the best restaurant in Charlottesville, by a large margin.  excellent tapas.  for the NY'ers, it's every bit the equal of Bocqueria...maybe a bit better, if not quite as interesting as Tia Pol. 

lots of places such as C&O, Zocalo, Cassis, Zinc, Si etc. that are serving standard restaurant food...

there's no good Italian or Chinese.  the Thai is better than expected.

Mellow Mushroom has quite good pizza.

I dig the beef and onion pancakes at the Tavern.

Mas is very good...did i say that?

some good beer lists.  crappy wine lists (except for the small but good one at Mas).  no good cocktails (except those made in my room).

Mas is what elevates this place way above the norm for a town of 45,000.

I will definitely have to keep Mas in mind next time I am in C'Ville. Do you know anything about the chef(s) or owner(s)?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz