• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef 2022

gfweb

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

New season, in Houston, starts this Thursday.

I'm ready for a weekly diversion.

I've been watching "Final Chef" on Netflix.  Quite interesting.

Description: Teams of chefs vie to impress some of the world's toughest palates as they whip up iconic dishes from different nations in this reality cooking competition.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The write-up suggests that the judging panel will also include a former Top Chef competitor and a nationally acclaimed chef.  It is not clear to me if there is a different Top Chef competitor every show or if it is the same one each episode.  We did not particularly enjoy last season with the different former contestants.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Anyone watching?  I DVR it so I was 2 episodes behind.

Ohhhhh Sam.  Tried so hard to sell his grilled potatoes in his "Samdaloo".

I really thought the guy that said he couldn't taste due to Covid would not do well.  I, so far, am wrong.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I really thought the guy that said he couldn't taste due to Covid would not do well.  I, so far, am wrong.

I was a bit surprised by that also! 

47 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Ohhhhh Sam.  Tried so hard to sell his grilled potatoes in his "Samdaloo".

Though I don't think Sam ever admitted to the judges that he forgot his boiled potatoes and left them behind, did he? 

Do you watch Last Chance Kitchen as well, @Shelby? I enjoy it as much (sometimes more) than the regular show. 

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

I was a bit surprised by that also! 

Though I don't think Sam ever admitted to the judges that he forgot his boiled potatoes and left them behind, did he? 

Do you watch Last Chance Kitchen as well, @Shelby? I enjoy it as much (sometimes more) than the regular show. 

I don't think Sam ever said that he forgot his potatoes...although, I'm sure the judges knew anyway???

I'd love to watch Last Chance but I don't know where to watch it???

1 minute ago, Shelby said:

OH ok!  Didn't know I could do that (is it free?)

I don't think I have to log in or anything, but maybe it knows that Bravo is part of my cable package? Not sure. Try clicking on an episode and see if you can watch it.  🙂

Since I'm in Canada, things are a bit different for me. Maybe someone else in the US can add to the info. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

We have been taping it but haven't started watching it yet.  Who are the judges (other than the regulat ones)?

It seems like it's a guest judge every week that specializes in the food that they are supposed to make.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Shelby said:

It seems like it's a guest judge every week that specializes in the food that they are supposed to make.

So the guest judges are not former contestants?

45 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

We have been taping it but haven't started watching it yet.  Who are the judges (other than the regulat ones)?

Mostly previous contestants but also joined by some other chefs from time to time, it seems. 

https://parade.com/1326230/mikebloom/top-chef-season-19/

or here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Chef:_Houston

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

So the guest judges are not former contestants?

Yes, many of them are. 

What alumni will be involved in Top Chef season 19?

According to Bravo, the rotating guest judges for Top Chef 19 include:
—Nyesha Arrington (season 9)
—Dawn Burrell (season 18 runner-up)
—Kelsey Barnard Clark (season 16 winner)
—Adrienne Cheatham (season 15 runner-up)
—Tiffany Derry (season 7, season 8 finalist)
—Joe Flamm (season 15 winner)
—Gregory Gourdet (season 12 runner-up, season 17 finalist)
—Hung Huynh (season 3 winner)
—Stephanie Izard (season 4 winner)
—Melissa King (season 12 finalist, season 17 winner)
—Kristen Kish (season 10 winner)
—Edward Lee (season 9)
—Maria Mazon (season 18)
—Shota Nakajima (season 18 runner-up)
—Nini Nguyen (seasons 15 and 16)
—Kwame Onwuachi (season 13, season 15 Last Chance Kitchen competitor)
—Sheldon Simeon (season 10 finalist, season 14 finalist)
—Brooke Williamson (season 10 runner-up, season 14 winner)
—Claudette Zepeda (season 15)

What famous chefs will make appearances in Top Chef season 19?

In addition to the alumni panel, Top Chef: Houston will feature a variety of pop-in appearances from famous chefs. That includes Daniel Boulud, Wylie Dufresne, Carlotta Flores, Bricia Lopez, Eric Ripert, Marcus Samuelsson and Alexander Smalls. Hunter Lewis, Editor-in-Chief of Food and Wine Magazine, joins the judges for the final challenge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, btbyrd said:

After my wife decided she's likes the show, we're binge watching all the old seasons on Peacock. 

There are some good ones. Watch for when Tom is plastered by the end of a show.

• Haha 4

35 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

@gfweb, do you watch Last Chance Kitchen? Can you give @Shelbyany advice on how to watch it in the US? 

I do occasionally.

I think its online only.  The Bravo Top Chef site ought to have the link.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We watch Last Chance Kitchen on the TV right after each Top Chef episode.  I will have to ask my husband how he hooked it up, and will report back on that.  We do record the episodes and watch on Mondays rather than Thursdays (mostly so we can skip all of the commercials).

I thought Sam did confess to leaving his potatoes behind, but maybe I am remembering wrong.  

It's too early for me to pick my favorite contestants, but some of the food has looked really good this season.  I really enjoyed watching the Dufresne challenge, though I would have liked a closer look at how they created some of the things they made (the tuiles in the first dish for example).  I know it is tough to show everything when there are still so many competitors.  

The judges seem more restrained in general this season.  I have noticed that they are usually drinking water while judging, so I think the days of tipsy commentary might be over.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

The judges seem more restrained in general this season.  I have noticed that they are usually drinking water while judging, so I think the days of tipsy commentary might be over.

That is a shame. 

I recall TC upbraiding a chef for taking the silverskin off of a pork tenderloin. Fat is flavor, he said.

Yeah, but that isn't fat.  I thought the chef showed more restraint than I would have

• Like 2

So just to update, my husband said that we get Last Chance Kitchen directly through our cable provider, it is available on demand.  When it first started airing, we had to watch it on our computer, but our cable company (Comcast) started offering it after the first season.  So I guess that is not really helpful.  😑

• Like 1
  • Haha 1