• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

Well, for a start your sausages are Vietnamese, not Chinese, but possibly made in a Chinese (Cantonese) style.

China has many different types of sausage. I have in my fridge blood sausage from Hunan, red sausage from Harbin near Siberia. Camel sausages from Xinjiang in the far west of China. Yak meat sausages from Tibet.

Are you getting your online sausage from Amazon US or a local version? That may limit availability.

As to recipes for Cantonese type sausage (腊肠 / 臘腸* - lapcheong in Cantonese, là cháng in Mandarin), they tend to be cooked very simply. Just sliced and fried. Or steamed over rice in the rice cooker. And yes, of course with fried rice as you have found. Dropped into hotpots or over noodles.

Also, some are very fatty; some  are very lean. Some are pork; some are liver. Some are duck liver. Some are chicken.

* The first, 腊肠 is written in simplified characters as used on the Chinese mainland; the second, 臘腸 is in traditional characters as used in Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan, as well as among much of the Chinese diaspora.)

liuzhou

liuzhou

Well, for a start your sausages are Vietnamese, not Chinese, but possibly made in a Chinese (Cantonese) style.

China has many different types of sausage. I have in my fridge blood sausage from Hunan, Red Sausage from Harbin near Siberia. Camel sausages from Xinjiang in the far west of China. Yak meat sausages from Tibet.

Are you getting your online sausage from Amazon US or a local version? That may limit availability.

As to recipes for Cantonese type sausage (腊肠 / 臘腸* - lapcheong in Cantonese, là cháng in Mandarin), they tend to be cooked very simply. Just sliced and fried. Or steamed over rice in the rice cooker. And yes, of course with fried rice as you have found. Dropped into hotpots. Also, some are very fatty; some  are very lean. Some are pork; some are liver.

* The first, 腊肠 is written in Smplified characters as used on the Chinese mainland; the second, 臘腸 is in traditional characters as used in Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan, as well as among much of the Chinese diaspora.)

liuzhou

liuzhou

China has many different types of sausage. I have in my fridge blood sausage from Hunan, Red Sausage from Harbin near Siberia. Camel sausages from Xinjiang in the far west of China. Yak meat sausages from Tibet.

As to recipes for Cantonese type sausage (腊肠 / 臘腸* - lapcheong in Cantonese, là cháng in Mandarin), they tend to be cooked very simply. Just sliced and fried. Or steamed over rice in the rice cooker. And yes, of course with fried rice as you have found. Dropped into hotpots. Also, some are very fatty; some  are very lean. Some are pork; some are liver.