• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Experiences with concierges

Anyone care to share any interesting experiences or stories regarding concierges in Paris or elsewhere?

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

A few years ago, at the height of the market boom, the firm I work for decided to hire a company called Les Concierges as a perk to its employees. Despite their name, these people didn't provide anything even remotely resembling a competent concierge service.

A colleague of mine in the London office called them and asked if they could arrange a booking for four at the Square for later in the week. The response was, "Is that a restaurant?" She indicated that it was. The "concierge" on the other end then asked if perhaps my colleague had the Square's phone number at hand...

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

This is an interesting subject, covered in the "Concierge Services and Companies" post just below.... You're correct. I've had similar experiences. In fact, much of the time, they call the "real" hotel concierges, have them do the work, then confirm to client that the job has been done...even sometimes claiming the credit for themselves!!

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

A long time ago while I was staying at Claridges in London, I had to move rooms due to water problems. I was there on business at the time, and had most of my work papers spread across the floor of my room. When I moved, I told the concierge to move everything like it was. When I got to my new room that evening, I found all my papers spread across the floor in the exact same pattern as the old room.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

I was staying for a few days at the Hyatt on the River Walk in San Antonio.

My challenge to the Concierge - Please point me to some greasy spoons and similar joints that are local favorites and have been around for years and years. I explained my website and the grease stain rating system.

It turned out she was the Assistant Concierge. Her response, "Oh no, we couldn't recommend any places like that for our guests. Most of them are in dangerous neighborhoods!"

I persisted. She suggested I take it up with with the Head Concierge. I tried. Left my name and number with her. Called the Concierge Desk a number of times. Head Concierge was never there. Left a number of messages. Stopped by the desk. When I suggested that in many hotels the Concierges almost always return phone calls from guests, the Assistant Concierge told me that the Head Concierge was very busy, but she'd give her another message.

Never did hear from the Head Concierge. Never did get any suggestions. Never did stay at that Hyatt again.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Terrible. Sounds like a pretty unreliable and badly-trained concierge desk. Sorry to hear about it. Did you complain to anyone in the hotel about this?

blog

Terrible. Sounds like a pretty unreliable and badly-trained concierge desk. Sorry to hear about it. Did you complain to anyone in the hotel about this?

Yes I did, by filling out one of those forms in the room. Management never responded. Go figure.

It's been my experience that there is a dramatic drop in the capability of concierges:

1. Between Europe and the U.S.

2. Between long established, classic, non-chain hotels and the chain hotels, with the exception of Ritz Carlton and many Four Seasons hotels. Too many concierges in the U.S. are mostly booking agents for the city bus tours.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

A long time ago while I was staying at Claridges in London, I had to move rooms due to water problems.  I was there on business at the time, and had most of my work papers spread across the floor of my room.  When I moved, I told the concierge to move everything like it was.  When I got to my new room that evening, I found all my papers spread across the floor in the exact same pattern as the old room.

Now that's what I call outstanding service!

Michael aka "Pan"