• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Duvel

Duvel

This is my take on Kharcho. It might not help you to win over you Georgian mother-in-law, but it is very tasty and reheats well. Plus my little one likes it a lot …

700654FB-7702-493B-8FFA-1A73AFAEFAAF.thumb.jpeg.5adad4cea8c11cbe9750e838160fe4a8.jpeg

Ingredients:

~400 g of minced lamb (or beef). 
1 medium onion, chopped

1 spear of celery (can use more if you like), chopped

~1 L of lamb stock (or beef)

some oil

1 450 g can of chopped tomatoes 

salt (to taste)

1 tsp ground coriander 

1 tsp smoked paprika (pimenton de la vera)

80 g walnuts

2 cloves of garlic

50 g long grain rice, washed - can use more to make the soup more stew-like

1 tbsp tamarind puree (or more) - sour plum puree is traditional, but any source of fruity sourness works from my point of view. Tamarind is great, but lime juice could be substituted.

chopped cilantro

(chopped dill, chopped parsley - optional) - Dill works magic here !

Method:

Heat oil in a large pot. Add minced meat and brown slightly. Add chopped onion & celery, sweat aromatics for some minutes. Add tomatoes & stock, add some salt and simmer for maybe 15 min …

In the meantime, grind walnuts, garlic, spices to a more or less fine paste. I preroast whole coriander seed, crush them in a mortar, add garlic, crush, add walnuts, crush and finally add paprika. You can add a bit chili here if you like as well.

Add washed rice. Simmer for about 20 min until rice is tender. Add walnut paste, simmer for 5 more min. Check and adjust salt level.

Take off the heat. Add herbs and tamarind paste. Let steep for about 10 min, then check final seasoning and serve garnished with some herbs.

Reheats pretty well and is best enjoyed with some flatbread.

Duvel

Duvel

This is my take on Kharcho. It might not help you to win over you Georgian mother-in-law, but it is very tasty and reheats well. Plus my little one likes it a lot …

700654FB-7702-493B-8FFA-1A73AFAEFAAF.thumb.jpeg.5adad4cea8c11cbe9750e838160fe4a8.jpeg

Ingredients:

1 medium onion, chopped

some oil

salt (to taste)

1 tsp ground coriander 

80 g walnuts

2 cloves of garlic

50 g long grain rice

1 tbsp tamarind puree (or more) - sour plum puree is traditional, but any source of fruity sourness works from my point of view. Tamarind is great, but lime juice could be substituted.

chopped cilantro

Method:

Heat oil in a large pot. Add minced meat and brown slightly. Add chopped onion & celery, sweat aromatics for some minutes. Add tomatoes & stock, add some salt and simmer for maybe 15 min …

In the meantime, grind walnuts, garlic, spices to a more or less fine paste. I preroast whole coriander seed, crush them in a mortar, add garlic, crush, add walnuts, crush and finally add paprika. You can add a bit chili here if you like as well.

Add washed rice. Simmer for about 20 min until rice is tender. Add walnut paste, simmer for 5 more min. Check and adjust salt level.

Take off the heat. Add herbs and tamarind paste. Let steep for about 10 min, then check final seasoning and serve garnished with some herbs.

Duvel

Duvel

Ingredients:

1 medium onion, chopped

some oil

salt (to taste)

1 tsp ground coriander 

80 g walnuts

2 cloves of garlic

chopped cilantro

Method:

Duvel

Duvel

Ingredients:

1 medium onion, chopped

some oil

salt (to taste)

1 tsp ground coriander 

80 g walnuts

2 cloves of garlic

1 tbsp tamarind puree (or more) - sour plum puree is traditional, but any source of fruoty sourness works from my point of view. Tamarind is great, but lime juice could he substitutes.

chopped cilantro

Method: