• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Interesting Little Things That We Have Done Forever

Tropicalsenior

1 hour ago, paulraphael said:

Tempering egg yolks when making a creme anglaise

Thank you for this. I've done it that way for years and I thought I was just being lazy.

1 hour ago, paulraphael said:

Preheating pans when doing things like sweating onions.

Same thing here and again I just chalked it up to being lazy but it really works better this way.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Until a few years ago I followed revealed wisdom to poke holes in my baked potatoes.

Having had an exploding potato all over my oven, I will happily contine to poke, thank you. Also, I want my baked potatoes to be baked; not steamed.

• Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

57 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Having had an exploding potato all over my oven, I will happily contine to poke, thank you. Also, I want my baked potatoes to be baked; not steamed.

As you wish.

I bake my potatoes two hours in a bed of coarse salt.  I assure you they are not steamed.  In 55 years of tuberosum cookery I have never experienced an explosion.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

As you wish.

I bake my potatoes two hours in a bed of coarse salt.  I assure you they are not steamed.  In 55 years of tuberosum cookery I have never experienced an explosion.

Well, if the steam can't get out the skins, where does it go?

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

17 hours ago, paulraphael said:

Tempering egg yolks when making a creme anglaise or custard or French ice cream. There is no point to this. I spent a long time trying to rationalize this step, since every pastry chef on earth repeats it. I came up with nothing. So now I throw the yolks in with all the other cold ingredients and just heat until it thickens. 

I don't get it - tempering egg yolks is easier and lazier than your method. You end up hovering over the pan stirring for much less time - put them all in cold and you're stirring from fridge temp to 82 degrees, temper it and it starts much closer to the target.

On 2/21/2022 at 8:36 AM, lindag said:

I've bought this a few times.  Gives a nice flavor to my Ceasars and pretty much anything else.

I have to add a note here; the price has nearly doubled from the last time I purchased it.

• Sad 1

On 2/21/2022 at 9:08 AM, liuzhou said:

Apart from more normal uses, I also use it on scrambled eggs!

Tried it this morning on my scrambled eggs.  The jury is still out on this one.  Thanks for the suggestion, @liuzhou

added:  Lea & Perrins, that is.

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

As you wish.

I get serious potato envy every time I see one of your fabulous baked potatoes but having experienced the incredible mess that an exploded potato can make, I am too fearful not to stab them before baking.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Well, if the steam can't get out the skins, where does it go?

I am not as certain steam cannot penetrate the skin.  If I remember next time I will prick my potato and see what happens.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou