• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

MaryIsobel

MaryIsobel

2 hours ago, Darienne said:

I keep trying to think if there's any little interesting thing that I do...but sad to say, I don't think there is.  My Mother hated cooking.  One Grandmother passed away before I was born.  The other one I loved dearly but knew for only a couple of years when I was say, 7 - 9, and then she passed away.  I saw her very rarely.  When I got married the only thing I knew how to cook was a white sauce.  And I knew how to make a oil and vinegar salad dressing which is now olive oil and lemon juice.  And that was it.

Ed had to teach me how to cook....and I hated it for decades.  Until that fateful year when I turned 67 and came upon that unknown word 'ganache' in a newspaper recipe...and the rest, as they say, was history.

Oh, one thing.  I keep reading about how if you ever get to the second bottle of Worcestershire sauce (Lea and Perrins and pronounced, if you please, 'wooster') , you are very unusual.  Well, we must be on our tenth or eleventh by now.  It goes into salad dressing.  That is one thing my Mother did. 

I'm surprised that "wooster" sauce last so long for so many. I'm sure that we go through 3 or 4 bottles a year. It's a must in our Caesars, and I use it in soups, stews and anywhere I am looking for a boost of savoury flavour.

MaryIsobel

MaryIsobel

2 hours ago, Darienne said:

I keep trying to think if there's any little interesting thing that I do...but sad to say, I don't think there is.  My Mother hated cooking.  One Grandmother passed away before I was born.  The other one I loved dearly but knew for only a couple of years when I was say, 7 - 9, and then she passed away.  I saw her very rarely.  When I got married the only thing I knew how to cook was a white sauce.  And I knew how to make a oil and vinegar salad dressing which is now olive oil and lemon juice.  And that was it.

Ed had to teach me how to cook....and I hated it for decades.  Until that fateful year when I turned 67 and came upon that unknown word 'ganache' in a newspaper recipe...and the rest, as they say, was history.

Oh, one thing.  I keep reading about how if you ever get to the second bottle of Worcestershire sauce (Lea and Perrins and pronounced, if you please, 'wooster') , you are very unusual.  Well, we must be on our tenth or eleventh by now.  It goes into salad dressing.  That is one thing my Mother did. 

I'm surprised that wooster sauce last so long for so many. I'm sure that we go through 3 or 4 bottles a year. It's a must in our Caesars, and I use it in soups, stews and anywhere I am looking for a boost of savoury flavour.