• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

Two come to mind.

1. As a very young girl I aways helped great grandma (Alte Oma) make the weekly noodles - dried on a cloth and stored to be used thrughout the week. After the flour well, egg, water - we kneaded and them put a bowl over the ball and did something else for a bit. I had no clue about resting dough and gluten - but it stood me well as a good habit.
  2. Making soup broth with beef or chicken a yellow onion with skin on was aways studded with a few cloves and dropped in. I had no clue about the skin adding color or why cloves from these WW2 refugees from Eastern Euroipe??? I just did it.The first time a friend took me to her favorite pho place for breakfast down the street I had a visceral flashback. The star anise and cinnamon -  a cross cultural pleasure.
heidih

heidih

Two come to mind.

1. As a very young girl I aways helped great grandma (Alte Oma) make the weekly noodles - dried on a cloth and stored to be used thrughout the week. After the four well, egg, water - we kneaded and them put a bowl over the ball and did something else for a bit. I had no clue about resting dough and guten - but it stood me well as a good habit.
  2. Making soup broth with beef or chicken a yellow onion with skin on was aways studded with a few cloves and dropped in. I had no clue about the skin adding color or why cloves from these WW2 refugees from Eastern Euroipe??? I just did it.The first time a friend took me to her favorite pho place for breakfast down the street I had a visceral flashback. The star anise and cinnamon -  a cross cultural pleasure.