• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great Garlic Tip

Tropicalsenior

When using garlic, Wrap the entire garlic bulb or your cloves inside some damp paper towel and microwave for 15-2 seconds  (15 for high-powered microwaves). Then remove it from the microwave, and rub lightly with the paper towel. The cloves should easily pop out of their skins.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Timothy_Boyce said:

When using garlic, Wrap the entire garlic bulb or your cloves inside some damp paper towel and microwave for 15-2 seconds  (15 for high-powered microwaves). Then remove it from the microwave, and rub lightly with the paper towel. The cloves should easily pop out of their skins.

I don't understand 15-2 seconds. Did you mean 15 to 20? Not that I have a microwave, anyway.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

What's amazing to me is that people were able to peel garlic before the home microwave oven ended up in so many home kitchens.  Though they were probably more concerned with help washing dishes.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

On 2/19/2022 at 4:45 PM, gfweb said:

I've walked out of places (before seating)that reeked of burned garlic. 

Attended a friend's home for dinner one evening and upon entering the acrid smell of burnt garlic assualted me. The main dish served was the culprit and while I tried valiantly to finish my serving, everyone else was raving about how "good and garlicky" it was. This was the same home where another time, we were informed upon arriving that "Rick" was making his famous shrimp and scallop appetizer for us. We stood about the kitchen, having a glass of wine, watching him sautee shrimp and scallops in butter for about 10! minutes, add wine, put the lid on and announce - "there, we'll just give that about 1/2 an hour..." They are truly lovely people, but good cooks they ain't.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 5

On 2/23/2022 at 1:13 AM, Timothy_Boyce said:

And the attribution goes to 🙄: https://www.alphafoodie.com/how-to-peel-garlic/

• Thanks 1

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

20 minutes ago, Joe Blowe said:

And the attribution goes to 🙄: https://www.alphafoodie.com/how-to-peel-garlic/

Interesting article but it's still not the method that I used. I just put the whole head in the microwave without wrapping it and the garlic cloves slipped right out of the peel.