• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

I should add that for the true mapo tofu experience you need 辣豆瓣酱 (là dòu bàn jiàng). Variations of doubanjiang are made all over China (and doubtlessly elsewhere), but the one you want for mapo tofu is this one. The (là) means 'hot' as in 'spicy'.

Sometimes it may also be labelled 红油 (hóng yóu) which indicates it contains chili oil.

The most recommended brand is:

Pixian Doubanjiang. Pixian is a city in Sichuan famed for its high quality doubanjiang. It is sold internationally, both in jars and in these plastic pouches.

1887697340_pixiandbj.thumb.jpg.992baaa5789b39095fb1ba286362c9d9.jpg

Another excellent brand, also from Pixian is Juancheng doubanjiang. I'm not sure how internationally that is sold, but in the USA, Mala Market stock it..

1634343177_JuanchengDoubanjiang.thumb.jpg.a8cb11859065829f0ff0cc60b233397b.jpg

Juancheng Dobanjiang

Others can be very unspicy, especially the Cantonese variety.

liuzhou

liuzhou

I should add that for the true mapo tofu experience you need 辣豆瓣酱 (là dòu bàn jiàng). Variations of doubanjiang are made all over China (and doubtlessly elsewhere), but the on eyou want for mapo tofu is this one. The (là) means 'hot' as in 'spicy'.

Sometimes it may also be labelled 红油 (hóng yóu) which indicates it contains chili oil.

Pixian Doubanjiang. Pixian is a city in Sichuan famed for its high quality doubanjiang. It is sold internationally, both in jars and in these plastic pouches.

Another excellent brand, also from Pixian is Juanchng doubanjiang. I'm not sure how internationally that is sold, but in the USA Mala Market stock it..

1634343177_JuanchengDoubanjiang.thumb.jpg.a8cb11859065829f0ff0cc60b233397b.jpg

Juancheng Dobanjiang

liuzhou

liuzhou

I should add that for the true mapo tofu experience you need 辣豆瓣酱 (là dòu bàn jiàng). Variations of doubanjiang are made all over China (and doubtlessly elsewhere), but the on eyou want for mapo tofu is this one. The (là) means 'hot' as in 'spicy'.

liuzhou

liuzhou

I should add that for the true mapo tofu experience you need 辣豆瓣酱 (là dòu bàn jiàng). Variations of doubanjiang are made all over China (an d doubtlessly elsewhere), but the on eyou want for mapo tofu is this one. The (là) means 'hot' as in 'spicy'.

Someeimes it may also be labelled 红油 (hóng yóu) which indicates it contains chili oil.

liuzhou

liuzhou

I should add that for the true mapo tofu experience you need 辣豆瓣酱 (là dòu bàn jiàng). Variations of doubanjiang are made all over China (an d doubtlessly elsewhere), but the on eyou want for mapo tofu is this one. The (là) means 'hot' as in 'spicy'.

Someeimes it may also be labelled 红油 (hóng yóu) which indicates it contains chili oil.

Pixian Doubanjiang. Pixian is a city in Sichuan famed for its high quality doubanjiang. It is sold internationally, both in jars and iin these plastic pouches.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Pixian Doubanjiang. Pixian is a city in Sichuan famed for its high quality doubanjiang. It is sold internationally, both in jars and iin these plastic pouches.

Juancheng Doubanjiang.jpg