• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Preserving molded chocolate for long-term display

Merlmabase

Hi folks! This is my first post on the eG forums, after easily a decade of lurking. I love cooking in general, and consider myself a serious hobbyist chocolate-maker, with a growing interest in going commercial. Thanks in no small part to the many knowledgeable folks on this forum!

My question isn't precisely of a culinary nature, and I wasn't able to find any previous threads addressing this topic. I need a way to display a molded solid chocolate bar long term. Ideally at least 6 months, in stable conditions - room temperature and ~50-60% RH. I have the option of making a facsimile of the chocolate bar out of another material, like molded plastic or silicone, but I have even less experience with this type of fabrication.

The idea is to preserve that fresh-out-of-the-mold shine as long as possible. My first thought was to simply coat the chocolate in a spray lacquer of some kind. But I haven't tried this yet and I have no idea how well it would adhere to a chocolate substrate. I also don't know how a protective layer like this would affect the product's propensity to bloom over time.

If anyone has any insight, it would be greatly appreciated!

Solid bars should stay shiny, just keep them out of the sun. 

For filled items like bonbons, consider making solid chocolate versions for display.  Or hollow, just without the extra fats and moisture that cause problems over time.

• Like 2