• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What do YOU call this?

liuzhou

I am working on something regarding the many names for this food preparation. I would like to conduct a small survey. What do YOU call this? An indication of your location would be helpful (if not already on your profile). Also, what meat would you expect to be used?

Many thanks in advance. I will post the results in due course.

kebab2.thumb.JPG.4abe2f20c1f69f65b5f58ab859907114.JPG

kebab3.thumb.JPG.c6d8cf8217549699fd42b631b795fe0e.JPG

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

In Los Angeles with its heavy Mexican infkuence - more often topped with pineapple than onion. Sometimes taco de trompo, teco de abodado, or in Puebla tacos arabes. Generally just meat on vertical spit for "al pastor". A roadside food stand regular.

• Like 2

to clarify  the set-up is the Trompo - whoch is how I Uknow it. Some links  

Shaved from Trompo

Of course, there are sub-categories and methods to each al pastor: The classic way is to shave off the protein from the trompo right into a tortilla, but then there is the controversial trompo-to-plancha, where the meat is shaved from the trompo and crisped-up on a flat-top grill. The former is the closest to the shawarma method that al pastor comes from (everyone’s favorite piece of Mexican food history). Some great images here  https://www.lataco.com/best-al-pastor-adobada-la/

• Like 2

In the meantime, as I await more responses, let me just say that I asked all my Chinese contacts what they call it.

50% said 土耳其烤肉 (tǔ ěr qí kǎo ròu), meaning Turkish Roast Meat.

37.5% said 巴西烤肉 (bā xī kǎo ròu ), meaning Brazilian Roast Meat (which it certainly isn't).

The remainder guessed randomly and wildly and missed the mark totally.

The 50% identifying Turkey hit a problem though when asked to identify the meat. 100% of the 50% said pork. Pork in Turkey? Turkey's population is over 95% Muslim. No pork!

But those photos were taken (by me) here in China and do show pork.

So, the confusion is not only in the English speaking world.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Honkman said:

There is mo real confusion but different countries use different meats (pork, lamb, beef, chicken etc) with differen “add-on on top but the same “technique” with different names

I disagree. I have been studying this for a while and there is considerable linguistic confusion.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

14 minutes ago, Honkman said:

If you explain in more detail we can help you to understand it better. At this point you claim there is confusion without showing any evidence.

I am not going to prejudice the results by giving any names.

I'm not asking you to help me understand anything other than what YOU call it .

Simple question.

In Nova Scotia it would be Donair and made with beef. Here in my part of Australia it officially depends on the country of origin and kind of meat doner kebab, gyros, and, shawarma. But locally at least, no one calls it any of those: The menus just say "meat" and you usually get your choice of lamb, chicken, or mixed. You might say kebab meat and that is what you will get unless you say shish kabab or souvlaki.

To add to the ambiguity, sometimes you will see souvlaki gyros offered.

Edited by haresfur (log)
  • Thanks 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

4 hours ago, SusieQ said:

Same -- Seattle. 

I should clarify. When I first saw this, 25-30 years ago, I didn't know what to call it. But I learned that the meat that came off of it went into a sandwich on pita bread called a gyro. After that I learned that this same thing could be called a schwarma (or however it's spelled) if the meat was lamb. This was all in Seattle. 

• Thanks 1

Were I pretentious I'd call this preparation al pastor.  More likely I'd refer to it as gyro meat.  And I'd sincerely hope it was animal meat...preferably lamb, or beef, or pork.  If that was a pineapple on top I'd be more worried.

• Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

In Germany, there would be three linguistic  “options”, and - because it is Germany - they are not only options, but prescribed terms by German (food) law:

1) “Gyros” (from the Greek word for “rotating”): made from stacked thin pork slices, marinated in a oil/spice/onion/vinegar marinate. What you have pictured here at least looks very, very similar.

2) “Döner” (from the Turkish word for “rotating”): made from either veal or beef, marinated in a oil/spice/garlic marinade. The meat needs to contain mostly stacked thin meat slices, but is allowed to have a small percentage of spiced minced meat to smoothen out the texture*. The meat you have pictured is too pale to be beef (from my experience), but could be veal.
A subset of the “Döner” family is chicken or turkey “Döner”: still allowed to be called Döner, but with a mandatory prefix of either of the two meat employed. Here, only meat slices are stacked, no minced meat allowed. Typically, the marinade of this contains a higher percentage of paprika, so the white meat is tinted red at its surface, so it is not alike to your pictures.

3) “Drehspiess” (from the German word for “rotating”): Pretty much anything else you want to put on a rotating skewer. Naming (in the restaurant) needs to contain at least the animal, and can contain either “Gyros” or “Döner” as a reference to the expected marinade/taste profile. Usually used if your product does not qualify for the (higher quality) options 1 or 2**. “Puten Drehspiess nach Döner Art” = Rotating skewer made from turkey in the style of a Döner.

—-

*however, this is considered by many to be inferior.

**and yet a welcome option when you return from a night of drinking, and all the quality ones have closed for hours.

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, haresfur said:

In Nova Scotia it would be Donair and made with beef. Here in my part of Australia it officially depends on the country of origin and kind of meat doner kebab, gyros, and, shawarma. But locally at least, no one calls it any of those: The menus just say "meat" and you usually get your choice of lamb, chicken, or mixed. You might say kebab meat and that is what you will get unless you say shish kabab or souvlaki.

To add to the ambiguity, sometimes you will see souvlaki gyros offered.

I would make a distinction here, based on what parameters Liuzhou is setting.

If we're referring specifically to the preparation shown in the photo - sliced meats stacked on the skewer - then Nova Scotia also knows that as shawarma, and it's plentiful under that name. If we're talking in a broader way of "any ol' meat preferred in your locality, as long as it's cooked on a vertical skewer and served on a flatbread," then yeah..."donair" is the local version and it's beef.

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

8 hours ago, haresfur said:

The same here in Michigan, depending on which restaurant you're at. But after I order one and start eating it, it's My Shawarma. 🎼🎶 🎸🎸🎸

• Haha 4

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Looks like shwarma to me... gyro meat is usually more homogenous and without distinct stratigraphy.

I think Liuzhou's Chinese respondents should get partial credit for their Brazil answer... from 12 time zones away, that totally looks to be in the same ball park as rodizio.   

And editing to add that the little thing under my avatar that says Philadelphia area is actually correct, so that is where I'm located.  

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Hi, in my experience:

In Spain, I would call it Kebab (mostly beef or chicken, unfortunately lamb is rare)

In Australia, where I lived for years till recently, it's upon the place, in greek restaurants you have Slouvaki (lamb, beef, sometimes chicken), gyros (pork) but also durum or shawarma (lamb, beef, chicken) in street food places with middle-east fashion. In Australia,  kebab is what we call in Spain "pinchos morunos", roughly.

I also know that in mexico tacos al pastor are done in this way (Lebanese inmigrants make it popular in that country) [known from Mexicans BTW]

Hope it helps

cheers

Edited by farcego
add some extra info (log)
  • Like 1