• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

In the meantime, as I await more responses, let me just say that I asked all my Chinese contacts what they call it.

50% said 土耳其烤肉 (tǔ ěr qí kǎo ròu), meaning Turkish Roast Meat.

37.5% said 巴西烤肉 (bā xī kǎo ròu ), meaning Brazilian Roast Meat (which it certainly isn't).

The remainder guessed randomly and wildly and missed the mark totally.

The 50% identifying Turkey hit a problem though when asked to identify the meat. 100% of the 50% said pork. Pork in Turkey? Turkey's population is over 95% Muslim. No pork!

But those photos were taken (by me) here in China and do show pork.

So, the confusion is not only in the English speaking world.

liuzhou

liuzhou

In the meantime, as I await more responses, let me just say that I asked all my Chinese contacts what they call it.

50% said 土耳其烤肉 (tǔ ěr qí kǎo ròu), meaning  Turkish Roast Meat.

37.5% said 巴西烤肉 (bā xī kǎo ròu ), meaning Brazilian Roast Meat (which it certainly isn't).

The 50% hit a problem though when asked to identify the meat. 100% of the 50% said pork. Pork in Turkey? Turkey's population is over 95% Muslim. No pork!

But those photos were taken (by me) here in China and do show pork.

So, the confusion is not only in the English speaking world.