• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Superbowl 2022

Shelby

14 minutes ago, rotuts said:

I'm reading this 

https://www.amazon.com/Its-Better-Be-Feared-Greatness/dp/1631498231

right now !  its extremely interesting .

Payton Manning enters pp: 145   

there is more to this game  than I thought .

but not most of the time.

The Pats were some of the best cheaters the NFL has ever known. Belicheat Belicheck, Brady both caught and the NFL basically shrugged.  Let's not even talk about Kraft, and his association with some of the worst humans the planet has known (Epstein et al.).

15 minutes ago, chromedome said:

As you may gather from the foregoing, I find the modern game more entertaining.

The short-attention span game. When the D takes over, it's not as much fun as seeing QBs and WRs run around freely with barely a hand laid on them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

the book is interesting @ many levels

and well written.   

issues you mention are ' coming up '

but the chapter on Payton Manning 

made it clear how difficult and innovative  some of these 

game plans are. 

the book points out  6 - 7 teams are what you worry about

not the others making up the 32 .

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

Damn. It. All. I was going to make Key lime pie, as I had bought Key Limes at the international market this week.

Juiced 32 of the little bastards to net a half-cup of juice. Made a vanilla wafer crumb crust. Went to the pantry to get condensed milk…and found I had none.

WTAF?

Juice is in the fridge. Crust is par-baked. We will have Key Lime pie tomorrow.

• Sad 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

In keeping with the topic (food for the superbowl?)...

I watch a lot of games and love the spectacle and the subtleties of the game. But I have not grown up with it and only make token efforts to make it a special occasion event.

The super bowl has become a spectacle in its own right and it seems to me they also play football as well..

So..

In keeping with the need to do something to mark the occasion I thought long and hard as to what to do

Well the only thing I could come up with was to change from single malt whiskey to bourbon on my breakfast cornflakes.

(only for the one day you understand 😁)

I rather like the Bengals but I  would have liked some of the exciting quarterbacks that didn't make it

Edited by Bernie
added a word to make sense (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Be kind first.

Be nice.

(If you don't know the difference then you need to do some research)

Annual tray of nachos for dinner. Chips, TJ’s refried black beans, shredded cheese blend. When they came out of the oven I topped with pickled red onions, chopped tomato, and dollops of guac. I mixed some lime juice into Greek yogurt and added that on my plate, also (forgot to buy sour cream).

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Well, we have eaten the oysters with onion, lemon and Tabasco.  We have eaten two air fryer baskets of wings with Korean style dip.  We have eaten a veggie platter with chipotle dip.  And we have just finished off a small tray of cheese nachos..that’s each..two trays.  

I just wish the Rams would abandon the run game.🤪

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Okanagancook said:

I just wish the Rams would abandon the run game.🤪

I think - over. The amount of fireworks and dogs barking... Didnt last too long though. I thought I'd hear the jet noise from flyover but air conditions were goofy. Oh well. 

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Bernie said:

In keeping with the topic (food for the superbowl?)...

I watch a lot of games and love the spectacle and the subtleties of the game. But I have not grown up with it and only make token efforts to make it a special occasion event.

The super bowl has become a spectacle in its own right and it seems to me they also play football as well..

So..

In keeping with the need to do something to mark the occasion I thought long and hard as to what to do

Well the only thing I could come up with was to change from single malt whiskey to bourbon on my breakfast cornflakes.

(only for the one day you understand 😁)

I rather like the Bengals but I  would have liked some of the exciting quarterbacks that didn't make it

I respect the bourbon on cornflakes.

• Haha 1

Yes, I thought it was a good game too.  I was rooting for Cinci, but I do love me some Vaughn Miller so I'm happy for him.  Commercials were at least a little better this year.  I laughed at a few of them.  Half time was very meh.  And I like rap music.  

We started out with some taquitos that I ordered from Goldbelly.  We like them.  Array of green chili and cheese, shredded chicken and Chile con carne.  Came with a dipping sauce that I didn't care for until I added some salt, cumin and hot sauce.  Then it was ok.  Salsa that I had was better.

IMG_E1948.thumb.jpg.f8b55ffa29ab1852662f151e8b0ee852.jpg

For the main we had Philly cheese steak sandwiches.  I've always wanted to try authentic ones--you guys on the East coast can tell me if these hit the mark or no.  Got them from Pat's.  The King of Steaks in located in Philly.:)

IMG_1946.thumb.jpg.ba162da3c9a4f5ca5572f75f6caabbea.jpg

Comes with 4 huge sandwiches.  And a good amount of Cheese Whiz.  We loved them.

Deviled eggs, fries and a pepper salad to go with.

IMG_E1947.thumb.jpg.a74811bfd5cddae0e32ce5370bf4ff3f.jpg

IMG_E1949.thumb.jpg.44abae47fd6e58fc990dbbced323c9b1.jpg

IMG_E1950.thumb.jpg.940f4f4a65ae644567a8d7be5331fe37.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

3 minutes ago, Shelby said:

For the main we had Philly cheese steak sandwiches.  I've always wanted to try authentic ones--you guys on the East coast can tell me if these hit the mark or no.  Got them from Pat's.  The King of Steaks in located in Philly.:)

All that matters is that you liked them!  We like Pat's, Geno's, Tony Luke's and a few others.

How do they arrive from Goldbelly; are they frozen?

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

4 minutes ago, Shelby said:

IMG_1946.thumb.jpg.ba162da3c9a4f5ca5572f75f6caabbea.jpg

Comes with 4 huge sandwiches.  And a good amount of Cheese Whiz.  We loved them.

I was born in Philly and my parents grew up there.  I got my Dad those cheesesteaks from Goldbelly for Christmas and he loved them.  He got me some Philly pretzels from Goldbelly as a thank you, so I guess that means they were pretty good.

I think my favorite commercial was the one for Rocket Mortgage with the Barbie dream house and Anna Kendrick.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, weinoo said:

All that matters is that you liked them!  We like Pat's, Geno's, Tony Luke's and a few others.

How do they arrive from Goldbelly; are they frozen?

They felt frozen--I didn't unwrap them.  They were wrapped as shown above and then in a big plastic bag that was tightly wrapped around them.  A couple packs of ice--I can't remember if it was dry ice or a regular ice pack.  There was confusion.  On the Goldbelly site it says that if they arrive frozen then they are fine to put in the freezer.  But, on the plastic bag they came in there was a big sticker that said DO NOT FREEZE.  Well, seeing as how these arrived like 5 days before the game, I didn't feel comfortable leaving them in the fridge so into the freezer they went.  Around noon yesterday I took them out and let them thaw on the counter.  I unwrapped them so the bread wouldn't get soggy.  Reheated in the CSO at 300F for about 10 mins.  Worked like a charm.  The other two sandwiches are waiting for a future dinner in the freezer.  

9 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

I was born in Philly and my parents grew up there.  I got my Dad those cheesesteaks from Goldbelly for Christmas and he loved them.  He got me some Philly pretzels from Goldbelly as a thank you, so I guess that means they were pretty good.

I think my favorite commercial was the one for Rocket Mortgage with the Barbie dream house and Anna Kendrick.

:)  I'm glad he liked them!  

The meat was so good.  I liked the texture--thinly chopped up.  And, of course, the Cheese Whiz.

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

35 minutes ago, MetsFan5 said:

@Shelby I have ordered the same cheesesteaks from Pats before. I also froze them. I thought they were awesome. My ex of course ate 3 1/2 of them. 🙄😡

I couldn't hit like to this due to the ex.

But I like the rest :) .  I'm excited we have 2 more to eat.  I gotta get more Cheese Whiz, though.  We really put a hurt on that last night lol.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

But I like the rest :) .  I'm excited we have 2 more to eat.  I gotta get more Cheese Whiz, though.  We really put a hurt on that last night lol.

I really thought that I was the only one left who really liked Cheez=Wiz

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

A friend of mine messaged me during the game to say "Sean McVay looks like the kind of guy who calls his mom 'Bro'," and now I can't un-think that.

• Haha 9

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

@ShelbyTo be authentic, the wiz goes on the roll and the meat and onions on top.

In Philly its hip to dis Pat's and Geno's.  I think they are fine. There are better but not by much.

Tony Luke's and Dalessandro's are a half step higher.

Does Goldbelly offer roast pork with broccoli rabe and sharp provolone?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Shelby said:

try a little ketchup with the wiz

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, gfweb said:

@ShelbyTo be authentic, the wiz goes on the roll and the meat and onions on top.

In Philly its hip to dis Pat's and Geno's.  I think they are fine. There are better but not by much.

Tony Luke's and Dalessandro's are a half step higher.

Does Goldbelly offer roast pork with broccoli rabe and sharp provolone?

Ah ha!  Thanks for the tip.  The picture on Goldbelly has the Whiz on top.  I can see where it would be better on the bottom.

As for the pork and rabe, no, I didn't see that offered.

40 minutes ago, gfweb said:

try a little ketchup with the wiz

And, once again, this is why I love you guys.  Excellent.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, rotuts said:

unfortunately , an atrociouskly missed face mask penalty

but the correct team got the job done anyway.

C'mon they made up for it in the final two minutes, when they couldn't keep their flags in their pockets!

Edited by weinoo (log)

Tasty Travails - My Blog