• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Superbowl 2022

Shelby

23 hours ago, Shelby said:

For the main we had Philly cheese steak sandwiches.  I've always wanted to try authentic ones--you guys on the East coast can tell me if these hit the mark or no.  Got them from Pat's.  The King of Steaks in located in Philly.:)

Comes with 4 huge sandwiches.  And a good amount of Cheese Whiz.  We loved them.

13 hours ago, gfweb said:

@ShelbyTo be authentic, the wiz goes on the roll and the meat and onions on top.

In Philly its hip to dis Pat's and Geno's.  I think they are fine. There are better but not by much.

Tony Luke's and Dalessandro's are a half step higher.

Does Goldbelly offer roast pork with broccoli rabe and sharp provolone?

Holly Eats, the website of the late egullet legend Holly Moore is still, I feel the best source for all information cheesesteak.   He puts a number of places above Pats and Gino’s.    Steve’s, in his opinion and mine makes the best.   I would say I think Pat’s is the best choice for a first steak.  It’s a cheesesteak in its original, if not most highly evolved form.

Goldbelly ships John’s Roast Pork.   I love DiNics.   I own 2 shirts from DiNics.   On my last trip to Philly my best friend and I ate at DiNics and John’s back to back.   John’s was better.

I am team Rotus on the football.  And I was rooting for the Bengals

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

We had wings, btw.   They are a once a year or so treat in our house.   My 10 year old went full out Joey Chestnut on them.   I think he ate 20-25 wings.   I watched with an odd mixture of pride and revulsion.

There was a time when I could eat 25 wings, and two cheesesteaks was a standard lunch for me and I remained skinny.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Kroger used to sell shaved (uncooked) beef, and I would periodically buy it and make homemade cheesesteaks. Couldn’t do Cheese Whiz…subbed Provolone. They didn’t come up to whatever the one was on South Street, but they weren’t bad.

My favorite Philly area restaurant remains the Austrian Village in Huntington Valley. Red cabbage to die for.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

There was a time when I could eat 25 wings, and two cheesesteaks was a standard lunch for me and I remained skinny.....

I remember those days!  Long gone now.

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, kayb said:

Kroger used to sell shaved (uncooked) beef, and I would periodically buy it and make homemade cheesesteaks. Couldn’t do Cheese Whiz…subbed Provolone. They didn’t come up to whatever the one was on South Street, but they weren’t bad.

My favorite Philly area restaurant remains the Austrian Village in Huntington Valley. Red cabbage to die for.

If you have an Aldi near you I've found that beef there.  

We are actually having our Super Bowl dinner tonight because Jessica ended up pet sitting for some whackaloons who expected her to be there 24/7 as much as possible - for CATS!  So, we're watching a movie and eating stuff tonight.  On game day Mr. Kim and I nibbled cheese and crackers and Chex Mix and enjoyed watching a good game in which we didn't have a dog.  I didn't care who won and it was actually nice and low-stress not loving or hating anyone. 😄

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, kayb said:

They didn’t come up to whatever the one was on South Street, but they weren’t bad

Pretty sure that one was Jim's!  Which was also quite good!

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?