• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Superbowl 2022

Shelby

Mr. Kim wants "Totchos" - basically nachos made with Tots and added BBQ pork (his)

Jessica wants my Hot Bacon & Swiss Dip.

I have a craving for Chex Mix and the cereals were on sale last week for $1.50 a box. :shock:

The obligatory crudités and dips. 

That's all so far.  I really hope it stays that way.  It will just be the 3 of us and last year was insane amounts of food - none of which we really wanted after the day.  

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

Planning on the annual tray of nachos. Will probably buy tortilla chips this week to ensure I can get the kind I want, since last year we wound up with some overly salty ones. I spied turkey wings at the market today and think I will consider roasting a couple.

• Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I was reading all of the old Super Bowl topics a bit ago.  Enjoyable...but sad.   Missing a lot of our people.  @David Ross @suzilightning @HungryChris and many more.  

I need to go back and look, and but someone early on stuffed wings with blue cheese and then breaded and fried them.  Ooooooooh wheeeeee they caught my eye years ago and now they are still making me drool.  

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 3

Just the two of us.

planning on air fryer wings.  My brother has supposedly perfected them so I am going to bite….300F for 24 minutes turning halfway.  Increase temperature to 400F for 6 minutes.  I found a Korean style sauce to go with.

we love nachos so a small tray can be composed ahead of time.  I don’t want to miss a minute of this game.

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

On 2/6/2022 at 8:46 AM, kayb said:

Wings. Maybe latkes with caviar, since I didn’t do it for New Years. If my girlfriend I’ve invited for the weekend comes, coconut cake.

I lust after that coconut cale so if you do - picture please

@Duvel edited to remove nonsense typos

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

My husband suggested chili dogs a few days ago and  just sent me this this so now I’m thinking I’ll make the chili dog buckets. I’m debating a ranch/green onion dip or a buffalo dip, plus crudités.  We want to make cherry cupcakes to use up some pie cherries in the freezer. My SIL will bring something, unknown but certainly delicious. 

• Like 4

We don't care much about the Superbowl -- I was a little surprised to find out that Cincinnati, a city I more or less consider my hometown, was in it. But we do like having people over for food, and the Superbowl is a decent excuse. The menu: Parmesan oyster-crackers; lemon-pepper wings; a-number-of-layers-dip (I think it's five); chorizo-manchego empanadas; sundae bar. 

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I only host when our team makes it, and even if they had, covid would have prevented having a party (again) this year anyway.  I'm just planning on making a couple of pizzas and maybe a salad.  The game will be on in the house somewhere, but I have a date with my book 😀

• Like 2

As a neutral, this shapes up to be a feel-good story no matter who wins. The Bengals have been pretty useless for the best part of four decades now, so it's hard to root against them. On the other hand it's hard not to feel that the football gods owe Matt Stafford some karmic even-up for twelve dreadful but largely-uncomplaining years in Detroit.

The last time the Bengals made it to the Super Bowl was a genuine snoozer, but I doubt this game will lack for entertainment value. That being said, I'll probably just catch the highlights after the fact. The whole broadcast is just more time than I'm willing to invest, and I haven't watched a halftime show in years.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I’ll have it on, but I won’t be paying it much attention. I figure I’ll have chili left over from last night, wings, cheese and crackers, and I have an urge for sausage balls.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

as long as the game is not won or lost

on a penalty , esp a dubious one.

Ill have it on while its being recorded on my iMac.

I buffer a bit then just watch the plays.

WSJ  ( Jason gay , a fine columnist )  did a study:

each game is << 11 minutes of actual football.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, liamsaunt said:

I only host when our team makes it, and even if they had, covid would have prevented having a party (again) this year anyway.  I'm just planning on making a couple of pizzas and maybe a salad.  The game will be on in the house somewhere, but I have a date with my book 😀

You mean the cheaters?

My guess is you’ll be waiting a while. 

• Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

49 minutes ago, chromedome said:

The last time the Bengals made it to the Super Bowl was a genuine snoozer, but I doubt this game will lack for entertainment value

Yes - this was a real snoozer...

The game is best remembered for the 49ers' fourth-quarter game-winning drive. Down 16–13, San Francisco got the ball on their own 8-yard line with 3:10 on the clock and marched 92 yards down the field in under three minutes. They then scored the winning touchdown on a Joe Montana pass to John Taylor with just 34 seconds left in the game.

Stick to hockey, bro.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

5 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Yes - this was a real snoozer...

Stick to hockey, bro.

For me the game is "best remembered" as two teams trying very desperately to let the other win, with Cincinnati eventually prevailing. Opinions, as always, are subjective. :P

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Just now, chromedome said:

For me the game is "best remembered" as two teams trying very desperately to let the other win, with Cincinnati eventually prevailing. Opinions, as always, are subjective. :P

That's what's called, in football parlance, defense.  As opposed to the game now, where the rule changes have all but obliterated the ability of a great defense to crush the quarterback and receivers.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

(Shrug) We can agree to disagree. There have certainly been more-recent games that were equally lacking; the Pats' suffocation of the Rams a few years ago and Peyton Manning's dour swan-song against Carolina spring to mind. I was still relatively new to the NFL game at the time, so the contrast with freewheeling CFL football was much sharper. As you may gather from the foregoing, I find the modern game more entertaining.

Hockey has gone through a similar evolution, with the high-scoring 80s giving way to the stifling, close-checking 90s. While some loved geeking out on the intricacies of the left-side lock and the neutral-zone trap, and it certainly helped mediocre teams remain competitive with their more-talented rivals, most viewers found that the game had lost its spark. So the rules have been tweaked, and scoring and excitement have returned to the game.

You had "crushing the quarterback and receivers," we had "guy who will pound the hell out of you if you take liberties with our players." Both have largely been removed from the game, which many fans lament but which will mean a lot more former players will get to remain functional human beings after their retirement. CTE is a terrible thing.

• Like 1