• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Name this grain.

Anna N

A dish that was ordered for lunch today was described as “accompanied by rice”. This is quite obviously not rice. The colour is of course provided by a sauce. This was takeout so it was not a matter of asking the server. Hoping somebody here can identify it. I am not a green eater.  
F795DA2F-BCA7-44E4-A26E-5483B2C06B33.thumb.jpeg.209deaa0903452a88f8629c4398eb80e.jpeg

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

12 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

Looks like barley 

Thanks I will now wipe the egg off my face! @Kerry Bealsaid it was  barley  and I argued. After this many years you would think I would learn. 

• Haha 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

19 minutes ago, wrdstrn said:

How did it taste? These grains look nice and distinct...sometimes when I've made barley it all clumps together in a soft mash, maybe too much water..

Well it didn’t convert me! But @Kerry Bealenjoyed it.  

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog