• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hello from South Africa

heylow

Hi everyone :)

I'm excited to join the eGullet forums and chat about ingredients, cooking and food culture! I'm a bit obsessed with Chinese, Japanese and Italian cooking and I absolutely love cookbooks (that I really see as reference manuals for culture, history and technique....so can be considered academic texts?). I'm hoping to learn a lot from these forums and make some new friends too. 

• Like 4

On 1/28/2022 at 5:52 PM, kayb said:

Glad to have you! Are you by chance in Durban? Had friends who spent several years there.

I'm in Pretoria but I was born in Durban and grew up in Kwa-Zulu Natal (Durban is the provincial capital) :) I love it there. Did your friends enjoy their time there?

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

• Like 2

Let me add my welcome to the others'. My best friend and her husband spent 8 or 10 years in Capetown and I was able to visit there. Beautiful! I'll love reading about your food, cookery, and perhaps how it changes with the seasons. 

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown