• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

World's stupidest comment about fish & chip consumption in the UK

adey73

Remember the heady days when the UK forum was abuzz with us allegedly bad of tooth and poor of food Brits being abusive to one another....

which we regard as traditional wit... but moderators regarded as offensive and deleted and so everyone left?

well let's all come back together not to dog-pile onto this man on social media but just to wallow in these fine words starting at 5.13 of this video, let me quote...

"In England people don't even eat Fish & Chips that much, it's not a common part of your diet in the UK" Ed Szymanski        

Edited by Mjx (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, gfweb said:

So this guy is apparently British, though to me, his accent is not identifiable.

His accent is downright strange, veering all over the place from vaguely British to vaguely Australian to vaguely American.

He does rather hack that hake, too.

His comment on English F&C consumption is idiotic, ignorant or both.

• Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

13 hours ago, liuzhou said:

His accent is downright strange, veering all over the place from vaguely British to vaguely Australian to vaguely American.

He does rather hack that hake, too.

His comment on English F&C consumption is idiotic, ignorant or both.

For a minute I heard Bermuda in there too.

I remembered reading this...

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/08/dining/restaurant-review-dame-greenwich-village.html

With a smile and a wink, though, Dame has a fresh point of view on cooking and eating seafood. Its relaxed, modern farmers’ market sensibility is propped up, as needed, by the structure of classic French technique. Like the more appealing restaurants in London, Mr. Szymanski’s hometown, it is unstuffy and refined at the same time.

They used to do decent research, back in the day.

https://sobewff.org/personality/ed-szymanski/

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

The whole discussion of his accent put me in mind of Mrs. Doubtfire.

Pierce Brosnan: You're accent's a bit...muddled.

Williams: So's your tan, dear.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning