• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Doyon and Blodgett ovens?

cookiemnstr

Looking into upgrading bakery ovens! The most affordable option is a Doyon Jet Air convection where the fan changes direction for more even baking. They can't guarantee my particular cookies won't have to be rotated without testing. No test ovens available unfortunately although I know for sure a cupcake franchise uses them and doesn't rotate. Does anyone here have experience with these?

Otherwise comparing self-rotating options, Doyon CA6XG vs Blodgett XR8-G. They seem pretty similar. Any opinions on either one? I don't currently make bread so proof/steam functions aren't really a deciding factor.

• 3 weeks later...

We use Doyon ovens.  We have a double and a proofer/oven combo as well.  Depending on the item we will sometimes rotate trays but most of the time we don’t.  Specifically we do not rotate macarons as we found it doesn’t help/hurt to leave them be.  As I sit here and think about it it feels like we only rotate higher temp items like baguettes. We don’t use nearly any of the programming etc so I’m sure we could get more out of them.  We will change fan speed and temp but that’s about it.  Temp range is nice, from 75F to 500F.  We use them as warming boxes even, to clean up choc molds and other odd tasks.  They are not cheap of course but nothing nice is.  

• 1 month later...
On 2/14/2022 at 9:25 PM, beesknees said:

We use Doyon ovens.  We have a double and a proofer/oven combo as well.  Depending on the item we will sometimes rotate trays but most of the time we don’t.  Specifically we do not rotate macarons as we found it doesn’t help/hurt to leave them be.  As I sit here and think about it it feels like we only rotate higher temp items like baguettes. We don’t use nearly any of the programming etc so I’m sure we could get more out of them.  We will change fan speed and temp but that’s about it.  Temp range is nice, from 75F to 500F.  We use them as warming boxes even, to clean up choc molds and other odd tasks.  They are not cheap of course but nothing nice is.  

Sorry for the late reply on this! I appreciate the insight. Are your Doyon ovens the jet air version that changes fan direction half way through? Do you load it up where all of the racks are completely full? I'm thinking if the pans don't need to rotate and we're able to fully load them it's a good choice. The Blodgett limits me to two baking temps at a time where I'm used to having four. I'm concerned that will slow us down when we need to quickly bake more. Currently cookie times/temps vary quite a bit between flavors unfortunately. 

On 3/28/2022 at 8:20 PM, cookiemnstr said:

Sorry for the late reply on this! I appreciate the insight. Are your Doyon ovens the jet air version that changes fan direction half way through? Do you load it up where all of the racks are completely full? I'm thinking if the pans don't need to rotate and we're able to fully load them it's a good choice. The Blodgett limits me to two baking temps at a time where I'm used to having four. I'm concerned that will slow us down when we need to quickly bake more. Currently cookie times/temps vary quite a bit between flavors unfortunately. 

Just seeing this.  Did we chat on reddit also?   If not I can elucidate a bit but don't want to bore you with repetition. ;)

I just pulled a couple trays of tater tots out of the Doyon and they're perfect (lol)