• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

I have a mandolin if it helps.  Anyone caught slicing vegetables with it will be composted!

YM0501651_Mandolin.jpg.ba93fab6e5d1739def73e329eea501f7.jpg

I've searched all my databases and there is no record of a madeleine being a slicing tool

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Maybe they're referring to a knife with which one slices open a madeline. Not that I'm certain why you'd need to.

Grammatically, that makes sense, but doesn't in any other way. Slicing Proust's madeleines is highly unlikely to be a major topic of website or blogs, I guess, so why so many mentions?

liuzhou

liuzhou

I have a mandolin if it helps.  Anyone caught slicing vegetables with it will be composted!

YM0501651_Mandolin.jpg.ba93fab6e5d1739def73e329eea501f7.jpg

I've searched all my databases and there is no record of a madeleine being a slicing tool

53 minutes ago, kayb said:

Maybe they're referring to a knife with which one slices open a madeline. Not that I'm certain why you'd need to.

Grammatically, that makes sense, but doesn't in any other way. Slicing Proust's madeleines is highly unlikely to be a major topic of website or blogs, I guess, so why so many mentions?