• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is there such a thing as a "madeleine slicer"?

Smithy

My best friend says she's been seeing the word "madeleine" used on different web sites to describe the wicked-sharp precision slicing implement we know as a "mandoline". I can't find a dictionary reference to "madeleine" as anything other than a specific pastry or, thanks to Proust, something that evokes a memory.

Are these bloggers corrupting the word and showing their ignorance like restaurant critics who say "restauranteur" instead of "restaurateur", or is this a definition of "madeleine" of which I was not previously aware? 

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Clarification, in case it's needed: my friend and I are talking specifically about the kitchen implement that I know as a "mandoline". (She wants me to bring it when I visit in a few days.) She says she's seen it callled a "madeleine" on many a web page and she asked me which was the correct word to describe the tool in question. I was shocked, I tell you!  Still, I thought I'd doublecheck with the assembled masses here in case our language is mutating. As it does.

• Sad 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I have a mandolin if it helps.  Anyone caught slicing vegetables with it will be composted!

YM0501651_Mandolin.jpg.ba93fab6e5d1739def73e329eea501f7.jpg

I've searched all my databases and there is no record of a madeleine being a slicing tool

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Maybe they're referring to a knife with which one slices open a madeline. Not that I'm certain why you'd need to.

Grammatically, that makes sense, but doesn't in any other way. Slicing Proust's madeleines is highly unlikely to be a major topic of website or blogs, I guess, so why so many mentions?

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

4 hours ago, Smithy said:

Are these bloggers corrupting the word and showing their ignorance like restaurant critics who say "restauranteur" instead of "restaurateur", or is this a definition of "madeleine" of which I was not previously aware? 

Yes. They're not thinking straight, probably because they've consumed too many expressos.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

9 hours ago, Duvel said:

There was a „wicked sharp“ precision slicer once in history with a french name, but I can‘t remember the name. Something like „Marie Antoinette“ or related to that …

Yeah but it only cut off big chunks.

• Haha 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

This, on the other hand is a mandoline. A small one.

1236872801__20220126140125.thumb.jpg.0ca1ae8ab4e75173344d177e3101b133.jpg

1465827138__20220126140140.thumb.jpg.3fddac198bd74acc091d3a7b5d097528.jpg

A few years back there was a craze for slapping thin slices of cucumber on women's faces (self-slapped, I should stress! I don't go around slapping women with cukes or anything else!) So they were selling these custom cucumber slicers on the streets. I bought one for a laugh. Never used it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto