• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Useful supplies from homebrew shops? Modernist etc.

dtremit

I'm curious if anyone has suggestions for useful supplies one might get from a homebrew shop, for modernist or other specialty cooking. I'm looking to buy some amylase and it seems to be the easiest way to get it at a reasonable price.

The homebrew shop I'm looking at does flat rate shipping, so I figure I might as well pick up a few other interesting things to play with. Any suggestions?

Co2 carbonating rig. Various small herbs and spices that might be hard to find elsewhere - particularly roots like angelica. Hops are fun to try cooking with. Champagne yeast for making alcohols that are then turned into vinegars. Lactobacillus culture to kickstart lacto ferments. 

Brewers maltodextrin is a half decent replacement for nzorbit

Edited by andrewk512 (log)
  • Like 1