• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salted duck eggs (Liuzhou, I’m looking at you, here)

kayb

Ran across a recipe for a Thai corn salad that calls for poaching fresh corn in coconut milk, cutting it off, and tossing with dressing. The dressing included some things I did not have, so off to Amazon I went. One of the things I now have is a carton of six salted duck eggs.

Unless this salad is really wonderful, I don’t anticipate wanting six batches of it during the relatively short sweet corn season. In what  else does one use salted duck eggs?

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

8 minutes ago, kayb said:

Ran across a recipe for a Thai corn salad that calls for poaching fresh corn in coconut milk, cutting it off, and tossing with dressing. The dressing included some things I did not have, so off to Amazon I went. One of the things I now have is a carton of six salted duck eggs.

Unless this salad is really wonderful, I don’t anticipate wanting six batches of it during the relatively short sweet corn season. In what  else does one use salted duck eggs?

I'm pretty sure he does not use salted duck eggs in corn salad.

• Haha 7

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Right! You are referring to this Serous Eats  post I imagine  https://www.seriouseats.com/tam-khao-pod-kai-kem-corn-salad-with-salted-duck-egg-5205245 You just have to give it a go. Moor like a condiment add on. Once you taste it you will knw if it fits your food. Sure @liuzhouwill have plenty of ideas. Also some random older posts  https://forums.egullet.org/topic/120432-question-on-salted-duck-egg-yolk/

Edited by heidih (log)

1137043104_saltedduckegg.thumb.jpg.5c6ff054ddf7d2aaee75fb5069937dc7.jpg

I mostly see / eat them with congee but have also had them with various soupy noodle dishes (including luosifen).

They are, of course, baked into mooncakes.

I've had them in salads, too but in SE Asia; not China. China doesn't really do salads.

I more often buy salted quail egs, which I  recommend trying if you come across them.

984777556_SaltBakedQuailEggs.thumb.jpg.5af526862eba81071b5bc23262eaf242.jpg

Salted Quail Eggs

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

You can blend them into various sauces, to give this rich, salty, umami taste. 

One of my favorite dishes while visiting our production site in Nanjing in autumn was stir-fried crab (meat, intestines - everything except the shell) with ginger, then salted duck egg yolk and wine (and most likely some sugar) and finally soft tofu. 

Salted duck egg yolk is also a popular flavor for potato crisps, so maybe you could dry it, grind into a powder and start coating various snacks.

Finally I was thinking to “enrich” (as if that was necessary) a Carbonara dish with it, but - alas - it has been done already

Let us know about your progress - I am craving salted duck egg yolk now 🤗

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Where? Certainly not here.

… but (and this might not be comprehensive) in HK, Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore, Japan, Korea. This brand (from SG) used to be my favorite - although I preferred their salted duck egg yolk flavored fish skins over the crisps. But hey …

3 minutes ago, Duvel said:

… but (and this might not be comprehensive) in HK, Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore, Japan, Korea. This brand (from SG) used to be my favorite - although I preferred their salted duck egg yolk flavored fish skins over the crisps. But hey …

I vaguely remember seeing them here once, then they disappeared days later. But hey, I'm a guy who only likes one flavour of crisps (not chips ffs) - a flavour that becomes harder and harder to find!

Potato flavour!

13 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I vaguely remember seeing them here once, then they disappeared days later. But hey, I'm a guy who only likes one flavour of crisps (not chips ffs) - a flavour that becomes harder and harder to find!

Potato flavour!

I think the craze started in mid 2018, and by the beginning of 2019 the major (again Singaporean) brand had a dedicated outlet for their 3 (three !) duck egg yolk flavored products (potatoes crisps, fish skin and shrimp heads) in the most expensive mall in HK. Imagine a shop for potato crisps nestled in between Prada and Apple. I left in 2019 - I should ask whether they are still there …

Edited by Duvel (log)

3 hours ago, Duvel said:

Let us know about your progress - I am craving salted duck egg yolk now 🤗

I think we have a dedicated thread for assigning blame, but let me say also here once again: damn all of you enablers at eGullet. However, for this particular purchase today I solemnly & solely blame @kayb 😜

B874516C-FAD9-4B03-8AA2-122A44807E54.thumb.jpeg.fc315d71e99b07b855256f0774edfedb.jpeg

• Haha 1

Whenever eggs are on sale, I make salted eggs. For salted eggs, chicken eggs are no different than duck eggs, just smaller and much cheaper.

Recipe making salted eggs:  eggs, salt and water.

If you Google "Golden sand" you can find interesting recipes using salted egg yolks.

Golden sand prawns

1589393958_goldensand.thumb.jpg.3ada0e842ec5b08ce9486abf786131ed.jpg

1427975320_goldensand2.thumb.jpg.a9f1beade2f34e7b936dac423def13a5.jpg

• Like 2
  • Delicious 2

49 minutes ago, dcarch said:

For salted eggs, chicken eggs are no different than duck eggs, just smaller and much cheaper

The difference between salted duck eggs and salted chicken eggs is a lot more than just size and price.

The flavour is different; the texture is different; the appearance is different. Salted chicken eggs are very much the poor cousins.

Salted Duck Egg

1058079742_saltedhensegg.thumb.jpg.0a471628cfc9aeba8975ac1161fe3957.jpg

Salted Chicken Egg

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

The difference between salted duck eggs and salted chicken eggs is a lot more than just size and price.

The flavour is different; the texture is different; the appearance is different. Salted chicken eggs are very much the poor cousins.

Salted Duck Egg

1058079742_saltedhensegg.thumb.jpg.0a471628cfc9aeba8975ac1161fe3957.jpg

Salted Chicken Egg

Interesting. 

The salted duck eggs here in NY I bought are not as colorful as yours, and the home made chicken eggs are some what different than the one you show.

A few youtube videos of salted chicken eggs. I think it probably has to do with length of fermentation and density of salt solution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lURgkXnz9bk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu1BFMeLVyw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHn3IGsfOl0

dcarch

then there are the best

咸海鸭蛋 (xián hǎi yā dàn), salted sea duck eggs.

These come from Guangxi Beibu Gulf near the China-Vietnam border. A local specialty.

Pretty they ain't, but rammed with flavour. Sold in boxes of nine or individually.

1601186716_SaltedSeaDuckEggs2.thumb.jpg.d45c1d19140096e3b8acd3b43a4ef7cd.jpg

2127488036_SaltedSeaDuckEggs.thumb.jpg.b16c2aa2f90d782a4a36f966f9cf07ca.jpg

egg.thumb.jpg.eee71b5d4b7ca724d86ae6768a8d3922.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Kerala said:

Any other recommendations for a newby?

For those who have not tried salted eggs. The eggs do not taste like eggs seasoned with salt. They have a very different flavor and texture.

Chop it up, great for fried rice.

dcarch

• Thanks 2