• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mauviel 150s vs. All-Clad D5

andrew420

17 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Now, back to that Falk rondeau.  It's the perfect size for much of the cooking I do - for two people, sometimes 3 or 4. It will hold, for example, a whole cut-up chicken for a simple sauté or braise. And it's gorgeous to bring to the table.  

That's a great pan. If I were still thinking about buying copper pans something like that would be top of the list.

If I lost all my current copper pans in a house fire, the two I'd probably buy again are the 1.5L slope-sided saucepan (just love this) and the 12" long-handled frying pan. Both of these make great use of copper's strengths and I love using them. 

Interesting's, I've found that the higher the quality of the range that I'm cooking on, the less important the pan. Copper does a great job of distributing heat evenly (unimportant if your burner heats evenly), storing heat (unimportant if you got a lot of BTUs), and responding to temperature changes (as does a thinner, lighter pan, which you can get away with on an hot, even burner). 

My new range is hot, but not very even, so the copper still helps me out. If I ever get the range of my dreams, the copper will be more about nostalgia. And if I get an induction range, the copper will be on ebay!

• Like 2

Notes from the underbelly

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

I have two sets of cooper pans from France :

all from Dehillerin.

48 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

Those may well be Mauviel. Theyy often let cookware stores sell under the store brand. A few of my Mauviel pans are stamped "Zabar's" after the NYC store where I got them. Only one pan that I got years later has the actual maker's name on it.

I'm pretty sure the copper from Dehillerin is by Mauviel.  Here are couple of pieces bought there:

IMG_6015.thumb.JPG.1ac263aa8c4c32770b28e415cb5bf63e.JPG

You can see both DeHillerin and Mauviel stamped on the pans.

38 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

the 1.5L slope-sided saucepan (just love this)

My mistake was buying this Mauviel saucepan, but like twice as large.  It doesn't get used nearly enough, since it's way bigger than I really need 99.9% of the time.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

56 minutes ago, weinoo said:

My mistake was buying this Mauviel saucepan, but like twice as large.  It doesn't get used nearly enough, since it's way bigger than I really need 99.9% of the time.

Have you tried eating more?

Edited by paulraphael (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Notes from the underbelly