• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

9 hours ago, MikanPotatos said:

Is it not enough to add instant espresso powder to melted chocolate?

Since it's water-soluble it would probably not dissolve in fat-based chocolate but if the powder is fine enough it might not matter.

1 hour ago, DJ Silverchild said:

Question about the melanger. Im not making bean to bar. Can i use any chocolate in the machine?

Yes, you can use whatever, the stone wheels provide a different motion of smashing and smearing to make small pieces into smooth paste instead of endless chopping (like a food processor).  I mostly use mine to make hazelnut butter.

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

8 hours ago, MikanPotatos said:

Is it not enough to add instant espresso powder to melted chocolate?

Since it's water-soluble it would probably not dissolve in fat-based chocolate but if the powder is fine enough it might not matter.

1 hour ago, DJ Silverchild said:

Question about the melanger. Im not making bean to bar. Can i use any chocolate in the machine?

Yes, you can use whatever, it's just a different motion of smashing and smearing to make small pieces into smooth paste instead of endless chopping (like a food processor).  I mostly use mine to make hazelnut butter.