• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Freezing bacon and reheating it

Susanwusan

Hi.  I want to cook (in the oven) rashers of bacon and then freeze them individuallyfor later use.  What would be the best way for a simpleton to reheat one - a microwaveable suggestion would be good.  It would be from frozen.

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted title capitalization (log)

(edit to add..  this method is bacon from raw - not pre-baked/cooked in the oven....)

I wrap two strips of bacon per "slot" in aluminum foil.  ensure the whole package is wrapped tight - the foil prevents (rapid) desiccation of the bacon....

at best, open & remove as many strips as needed about 30 minutes prior to cooking.  this gives the two strip units time to thaw so you can separate the strips.  if you get stuck in the  'still froze' situation, give (two) strips 30 seconds at high to thaw, then separate and continue....

...the microwave . . . for years I refused to do / believe - but it works just fine, as follows:

m/w safe plate, two paper towels on the bottom

single layer of bacon strips

cover with single layer paper towel (prevents messy spatter)

m/w on high one minute per strip (starting point . . )

NOTE!  all microwaves are slightly different so you must adjust the 'one minute' guidance to the power of your m/w and also the degree of 'crisp' you prefer.

for decades I was a fry-in-the-(cast iron) pan type.  I've been converted . . . actually less greasy since the paper towels soak it up during the m/w.

I've done 2, 3 and 4 strips on a 'two paper towel base' - for more qty of strips you'll need bigger plate and more paper towels to soak up the grease.

Edited by AlaMoi (log)
  • Thanks 1

• As noted by @AlaMoi the MW is your friend if you like crispy. Personally if you are buying uncooked a pound or so just re-pack and freeze in your preferred serving size freeze, take out what you need and nuke. Best crispy mess-free I've had, Been my go-to for eons, pre cooking and re-heating risks overcooking and just creates mess x 2