• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

I used to not use salt in stock making, which is how I learned to do it in cooking school.  But then I read somewhere that a bit of salt at the beginning of, say, a white chicken stock, help to coagulate the proteins and schmutz, which then are very easy to skim off the top.

Now I salt all stocks at the start; very judiciously. And I skim pretty often (or when necessary) during the first hour, before mirepoix is added. 

weinoo

weinoo

I used to not use salt in stock making, which is how I learned to do it in cooking school.  But then I read somewhere that a bit of salt at the beginning of, say, a white chicken stock, help to coagulate the proteins and schmutz, which them are easy to skim off the top.

Now I salt all stocks at the start; very judiciously.