• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

scott123

scott123

14 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Yes. I know the.story.

But I've no idea what relevance it has here. 

I have eaten butter chicken in India and Chicken Ticket Marsala in both England and Hong Kong. They are not the same dish.

You made the claim that CTM isn't Indian.  I'm showing you multiple Delhiite food historians who strongly disagree.

As far as butter chicken and CTM being different dishes, neither dish is a static entity.  There are as many variations to either dish as there are Indian chefs.  The two dishes only have 4 defining components- chicken, tomatoes, some form of cream (dairy or coconut) and the typical Indian aromatics (onion, garlic, ginger). When you strip the dishes down to their common components, they are identical.  

If they are truly different dishes, tell me one ingredient that butter chicken always has that CTM never has- or vice versa.  You can't.

scott123

scott123

2 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Yes. I know the.story.

But I've no idea what relevance it has here. 

I have eaten butter chicken in India and Chicken Ticket Marsala in both England and Hong Kong. They are not the same dish.

You made the claim that CTM isn't Indian.  I'm showing you multiple Delhiite food historians who strongly disagree.

As far as butter chicken and CTM being different dishes, neither dish is a static entity.  There are as many variations to either dish as there are Indian chefs.  The two dishes only have 4 defining components- chicken, tomatoes and some form of cream (dairy or coconut) and the typical Indian aromatics (onion, garlic, ginger). When you strip the dishes down to their common components, they are identical.  

If they are truly different dishes, tell me one ingredient that butter chicken always has that CTM never has- or vice versa.  You can't.