• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kang Suh

Pan

I'd like to thank all of you who helped me pick a place for my birthday dinner yesterday. The food was very satisfying, the service was gracious and helpful, and a good time was had by all.

It was good that I called to reconfirm the reservation the night before, as the reservationist had misheard the number of people as 12 the first time (it was supposed to be 20, though 19 showed up, in the end). Almost everyone had some trouble finding the place, although my directions were accurate. They tended to walk to the north side of the street, for example to Kum Gang San (contrary to my directions) or just walk past the place all the way to 5th Av. and back, sometimes more than once. But though some of the party was pretty late, everyone made it, in the end. We were given a private room upstairs which seated all of us, though only just (and that was sufficient and much appreciated by me).

The appetizers were much appreciated by the crowd, though they really weren't the main event. Among the starters we ordered were scallion pancakes and seafood pancakes (good though not exciting compared to the mains), crab salad ("Western-tasting, not Korean-tasting," according to my father [i didn't try any]), shrimp salad with avocado (somewhat more interesting), fish pancakes (pretty simple fried fishcakes), and assorted dumplings or pancakes or whatever (it's the thing that's a special assorted thing near the bottom of the 2nd page; one - a brown minced meat patty [beef, perhaps pork] with minced onions, nicely seasoned, was delicious), some kind of rice with various things in it which reminded me of a risotto without cheese, and shu mai (at the other end of the table).

The mains were simply great. We split 3 orders of bulkoki (their spelling) between us. We did have to cook it ourselves, but we did a good job with the excellent ingredients they gave us. I ordered a spicy broiled squid dish which was delicious (I ate the remnants of it for lunch today). My father was happy with a simple boiled ox feet soup he ordered. Various other dishes were ordered, but I didn't try all of them.

The highlights of the panchan were two kinds of kimchi and some tasty stringy stew beef; little fish pancakes were also pleasant.

Waitresses were available to bring clean plates for the pieces of bulkoki when they were needed.

Some members of the party arranged for some ice cream (green tea, brown-colored red bean, strawberry, and banana) to be brought with a candle on them, and a violinist friend of mine - dressed in concert clothes because he had played a recital that afternoon - played "Happy Birthday" for me. It was a lot of fun, and much more successful than my party at Nyonya last year, where the food was nothing special. I may well book Kang Suh for my birthday next year, too.

Michael aka "Pan"

Almost everyone had some trouble finding the place, although my directions were accurate. They tended to walk to the north side of the street, for example to Kum Gang San (contrary to my directions) or just walk past the place all the way to 5th Av. and back, sometimes more than once.

This has been my universal experience with Kang Suh, despite my own efforts to give painfully detailed directions. The strange thing is that the place is huge. It's not like you can't see it from the street. It's not like Saka Gura where it's in a basement. You would need a 17mm lens to photograph the whole damn thing if you stood in front of it. People just seem to have a collective mental block against avenue addresses referring to street entrances, and restaurants in office buildings. You really have to appoint a monitor to stand in the street and watch for members of your party wandering around.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I was there just before the Rangers/Flyers game recently. I had trouble finding it. I don't believe they have a visible sign. (If they do, I completely missed it). Even from directly across the street -- looking *at* the restaurant -- I missed it.

Pan,

Glad you enjoyed your party there. It is unfortunate with larger parties the private rooms only have gas burners.

The thing that separates Kang Suh from the crowd is the fact that they use hardwood charcoal in the main dining room.

Almost everyone had some trouble finding the place, although my directions were accurate. They tended to walk to the north side of the street, for example to Kum Gang San (contrary to my directions) or just walk past the place all the way to 5th Av. and back, sometimes more than once.

This has been my universal experience with Kang Suh, despite my own efforts to give painfully detailed directions. The strange thing is that the place is huge. It's not like you can't see it from the street.

You're right. What seems to have given people problems is: (1) I told them Kang Suh, and though it's listed that way in the phonebook, it's Kangsuh on the restaurant; (2) people had trouble remembering the exact name, though I spelled it for them; (3) it doesn't have a prominent awning; (4) people were overwhelmed by the number of Korean restaurants on the block, and claimed that some had similar names.

Michael aka "Pan"

• 2 years later...

I'm going to meet some out-of-town friends here for dinner tonight before the New Order show at Hammerstein. I've been here before but it's been a while and I am fuzzy on it. What are the accurate directions for this place? It's an upstairs place, right?

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

I'm going to meet some out-of-town friends here for dinner tonight before the New Order show at Hammerstein. I've been here before but it's been a while and I am fuzzy on it. What are the accurate directions for this place? It's an upstairs place, right?

Kang Suh is located on 32nd street between 5th and 6th. It is on the south side of 32nd street, much closer to 6th Ave. If you are walking west on 32nd, Kang Suh is immediately past a parking garage. It has two floors, the entrance is on the street level. It is literally the last restaurant on the south side of 32nd if you are walking west, or conversly, the first restuarant on the south side if you are walking east.

Hope this helps.

Kang Suh is located on 32nd street between 5th and 6th.  It is on the south side of 32nd street, much closer to 6th Ave.  If you are walking west on 32nd, Kang Suh is immediately past a parking garage.  It has two floors, the entrance is on the street level.  It is literally the last restaurant on the south side of 32nd if you are walking west, or conversly, the first restuarant on the south side if you are walking east. 

Hope this helps.

Do you mean Broadway instead of 6th Ave? (The address is 1250 Broadway)

Kang Suh is located on 32nd street between 5th and 6th.  It is on the south side of 32nd street, much closer to 6th Ave.  If you are walking west on 32nd, Kang Suh is immediately past a parking garage.  It has two floors, the entrance is on the street level.  It is literally the last restaurant on the south side of 32nd if you are walking west, or conversly, the first restuarant on the south side if you are walking east. 

Hope this helps.

Do you mean Broadway instead of 6th Ave? (The address is 1250 Broadway)

yes. broadway. sorry. 6th and broadway kind of criss cross there i think.

Unfortunately, I don't think they offer the hardwood charcoal any more.  I've been to this place for years, but I think they had to stop using the actual charcoal.

It's gas now, but our meal was still very good. They even gave us a freebie dish, steamed egg, that was really nice. Nice assortment of pan chan too. Apart from it having an Avenue address but being on a street, I also really don't understand why people have such a hard time finding this place. I mean... it's right there!

Thanks for the help.

They even gave us a freebie dish, steamed egg, that was really nice. Nice assortment of pan chan too. 

Just posting to note that I got that steamed egg dish on my last visit to Kang Suh too; it's brilliant. Does anyone know how it's possible to replicate that preparation at home?